Servi-Car Oil Fill Level

Proper Oil Level

All flathead topics
PastorErik1
Bikes: 1962 G Servi-Car, 1998 FLSTF FatBoy

Servi-Car Oil Fill Level

Post by PastorErik1 »

New to the forum and Servi-Cars. Been reading all day and appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here.

Bought my Servi-Car in "not running" condition. The good news is that I got her running. Has a good bit of oil leaking, and from reading various posts on here today I believe it may be coming from the breather. I read that an overfilled oil tank can cause that. The tank if quite full, and the oil is clean. The oil that is leaking is also clean. I checked the dipstick and the only marks are "Danger" and "Refill", nothing that says "Full" Is the refill mark full? Do I have some aftermarket dipstick with no Full mark? I figure proper oil level is a good place to start. Thanks in advance.

It also has loss of power issue, that I will ask in another post.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Servi-Car Oil Fill Level

Post by kitabel »

Must always be an air space in the tank, but no marking that I"m aware of. Only method is completely draining the system and adding the total.

Also possible that the "flutter valve" (located in the cam cover's inner gasket surface) has stopped working. This uses engine vacuum to transfer oil in the cam chest back to the crankcase interior.
PastorErik1

Post by PastorErik1 »

Thank you. Seems weird that they wouldn't put a full mark. Have seen postings of others doing what you suggest.
So drain the oil, add the amount of oil from the capacity from the manual, and mark the dipstick?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Drain the tank and the case. Use the small "sludge trap" bolt located directly under the sprocket on the left case. Be careful, the threads are fragile!
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

PastorErik1 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:06 am Thank you. Seems weird that they wouldn't put a full mark. Have seen postings of others doing what you suggest.
So drain the oil, add the amount of oil from the capacity from the manual, and mark the dipstick?
I changed my 65's oil and pretty certain the level fell at about the "refill" mark. **Edit** After reading my operators manual, this can't be correct. The "Refill" line calls for two quarts...
IMG_7465.jpg
IMG_7465.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 351 times
IMG_7469.jpg
IMG_7469.jpg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Last edited by panhead_kicker on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PastorErik1

Post by PastorErik1 »

I was thinking that maybe it was just "poorly worded" as refill instead of full.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

PastorErik1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:18 am I was thinking that maybe it was just "poorly worded" as refill instead of full.
Sorry, I looked into it a bit more, and found info in my operators manuaI. I edited my post above.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A general rule of thumb with any H-D oil tank is oil level approximately 1" below the top of tank. They need air space in them to function properly.
PastorErik1

Post by PastorErik1 »

Thanks guys. I was reading that overfilling could cause leaking (siphoning thru the return line) and mine seems quite full, so I was concerned. I'll keep the 1 inch rule in mind, and get a dental mirror and see where the level is compared to the return pipe. Thanks again.
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Post by Pascal »

Depending on temperatures outside, I fill my oiltank with more oil.
The colder it is, the less oil I'm running so it warms up more quickly and stays warm easier.
But that's me...

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”