58 pan rear brake shoes

Front and rear shoe Adjusting cam nut

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
roman
Bikes: 58 Pan, several real Indians

58 pan rear brake shoes

Post by roman »

The front and rear adjusting cam nut (square head)on my rear brake plate is frozen. Trying to loosen them. How much travel/movement should the have?
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Re: 58 pan rear brake shoes

Post by panheadrider1961 »

They are cammed in shoe side does not take much to move turn in tighting direction while rolling wheel when feel drag on drum go a little more to lock wheel then loosen to slight drag when spinning back tire work stuck side with a good penetrating oil and just move back and forth to free it don’t spin it will only go so far hope this helps easy on square nut best to use 8 sided socket if you have
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

roman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:57 pm The front and rear adjusting cam nut (square head)on my rear brake plate is frozen. Trying to loosen them. How much travel/movement should the have?
My 2c

The adjusting cams/eccentrics are riveted in and not intended to be removed. Probably best to dismantle at least brake drum & shoes, leave brake plate in swing arm for stable holding. Soak both sides with penetrating oil, maybe some heat. With no drum or shoes in place, and a careful approach, you shouldn't be likely to damage anything. As mentioned above by Panheadrider1961, the adjusters do not fully rotate, SO, DO NOT PUT CRAZY TORQUE ON ADJUSTERS, IF YOU BREAK ONE OFF, OR ROUND OFF THE SQUARES, YOU WILL NEED A NEW BRAKE PLATE, use reversed 3/8" drive socket extension and wrench as described & pictured in recent post here https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... 8&start=30 . When you get some movement, work each stud back & forth a little at a time until they free. They should never be loose. Try to get some Moly or graphite lube into them, but remember you don't want lube getting on shoes later.
Nifty
Last edited by nifty on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roman
Bikes: 58 Pan, several real Indians

Post by roman »

Thanks all for the info. so I can expect slight back/forth movement but not a 1/8 or quarter turn
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Depending on how much material is left on shoes no more than 1 flat should be plenty
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Considering the shoes and adjusters I believe the adjusters should be turned with the eccentric pin touching the shoes nearest wheel cylinder. Since the eccentric pin will now be a “stop” pin and not allow the wheel cylinder pistons to retract by spring pressure any further than the stop allows. And the next retract, refill, and pump of the pedal will find a new top position of the pedal with no excess movement. So, looking at backing plate, turn left adj. counterclockwise and right clockwise to tighten the brakes.

Andygears

Return to “Panhead”