1973 FLH top end and possible other issue?

noise

All Shovelhead topics
1957flhchop
Bikes: 1957 FLH(sold - dumb decision. I know)
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Re: 1973 FLH top end and possible other issue?

Post by 1957flhchop »

I checked the nuts on the rocker shafts and 3 were tight, one turned only about 1/4 turn. Even that seemed to make it slightly quieter... or it's all in my head.

Tried to take a short video yesterday so you guys could hear what I hear. Unfortunately, the sound was very poor and the 9 second video was still a huge file size.

Now that I have run it a few more times, it is leaking a little past the allen head caps on the other end of the rocker shaft. Is there anything special about the correct o-rings? I thought I read on another forum that some of the replacements are D shaped(flat sided).
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I use the white teflon, square section, O-rings that work well. I have seen them on eBay.
Member Mongrel used a pushrod O-ring, if I remember correctly, to cure his leak.
Hogey
Bikes: 2001 fxst 68 shovel

Post by Hogey »

in 73 the motor was end oiler with a oil pump drive gears at 6-24 verses 5-25 of old. and a nose cone to suit different oil passage. try 50w oil. with out pulling apart to check clearances of rocker bushes, end play. or pinion bush fit etc we are guessing. Drag pipes have no effect on motor clearances so rule that out. Also i assume you checked pushrod adjustment for solids
1957flhchop
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Post by 1957flhchop »

Hogey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:55 am in 73 the motor was end oiler with a oil pump drive gears at 6-24 verses 5-25 of old. and a nose cone to suit different oil passage. try 50w oil. with out pulling apart to check clearances of rocker bushes, end play. or pinion bush fit etc we are guessing. Drag pipes have no effect on motor clearances so rule that out. Also i assume you checked pushrod adjustment for solids
Yes, checked the pushrods and adjusted them so there is no slop but I can still rotate them with my fingers.

Just curious, since I am currently using 20w50, isn't that supposed to act the same as 50w when it is warm?
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

1957flhchop wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:22 pm I checked the nuts on the rocker shafts and 3 were tight, one turned only about 1/4 turn. Even that seemed to make it slightly quieter... or it's all in my head.

Tried to take a short video yesterday so you guys could hear what I hear. Unfortunately, the sound was very poor and the 9 second video was still a huge file size.

Now that I have run it a few more times, it is leaking a little past the allen head caps on the other end of the rocker shaft. Is there anything special about the correct o-rings? I thought I read on another forum that some of the replacements are D shaped(flat sided).
Just a couple of weeks ago I had to deal with a leaking rocker shaft end cap on my '68 shovel. I have the early slotted ones, not hex, but that really doesn't make any difference with this issue. I pulled out the offending o-ring with a dental pick and went through my gasket stash. I found a spare pushrod tube o-ring about the same size and figured I'd give it a try. It worked. Prior to that it looked like the motor was leaking from all kinds of places like the front base gasket and rocker box gasket, and there was oil on places where I couldn't even fathom how oil could get to. Then I figured out the oil was coming out around the end cap and blowing all over the motor as I rode. I ordered a set of the square Teflon seals, but I haven't installed them because so far this pushrod tube o-ring is working beautifully. I'll leave it in until it stops working. If it ain't broke...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Early Shovelheads have two piece rocker arms, which makes it really easy to adjust rocker end play, but can screw up shaft end cap sealing. A simple thin nylon washer on the shaft before the o-ring goes on takes care of it. In the plumbing section at any major hardware store.
1957flhchop
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Post by 1957flhchop »

Went and got new o-rings today and installed. I ran it until it was hot and it appears to be good to go. I'll wait until I've ridden some miles again before I say it's definitely fixed. But, so far so good.

Return to “Shovelhead”