Timing plug: take out with the motor running

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
thepanguy

Timing plug: take out with the motor running

Post by thepanguy »

Is it possibile to take the timing plug out with the motor running without getting oil everywhere? Its a 52 pan with s&s oil pump

oh yeah, it has a belt drive so the primary chain oiler screw is adjust all the way in. Not sure if that matters or not though
sleeper

Re: Timing plug

Post by sleeper »

No that doesn't matter, you will still get every downstroke blow-out of air/oil blast...
I use a "clear view timing plug" to keep things clean & do my timing viewing unhampered, & not rushed!!
So I know it's Right on!!! ;)
A couple bucks, & when you're done put it in your tool-box for next time. It IS a tool..
It can be found at many places such as, http://www.jpcycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; part # 4300080 $3.99 retail

Some don't use anything, but rush to "Time the motor" & that does NOT work for me...
Timing is too important to RUSH...
Timing Tip: Clean & w/white, paint the timing marks accurately, prior to beginning the process, & let dry...

Makes visability that much easier. :o
kell

Post by kell »

When I use a clear plug I have to slowly screw it in with the engine running until it just wipes the oil off the spinning crank. Otherwise I can't see the mark. So I'm interested what paint you use that stands up to long term immersion in hot oil.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Kell -

You can find paint sticks called metal markers, that will stand up to just about anything, except flame heat. And then, most of the time it just discolours. They can be had from most welding supply dealers. Most are white or bright yellow.

Jack
CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr »

I run a short piece of rubber hose into the hole and just touch the flywheel with it. It cleans the oil off of the flywheel and you get minimal oil blast. Just make sure it is long enough to grab hold when you are done.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I can't see a daam thing with the lucite plugs, except for flywheel runout when it scrapes them.

I start the machine, then block it up straight, then remove the plug after the initial blast has been skimmed off by the scraper. There is still a mist, but it isn't unbearable.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: Timing plug: take out with the motor running

Post by Andygears »

As Cotten said, after starting, with bike upright. However, my trick is to use the nose of the timing light, which has a recessed lens to "catch" the mist and keep it off your face. About a 15 degree angle shows the mark, & shines the light. Premature failure of the timing light will be inevitable.

My 2 cents.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I know this is a really old post, but in case somebody is curious, all you have to do is lean the bike over to the right while you use the timing lite, very little oil will find it's way out. Of course an extra person to perform this task is quite useful, ...Mike
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Why is timing a vintage Harley so difficult?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Anything is easy, if you know how to do it.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”