'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Wide Glide speedo cable

Post by Excalibur »

Got the speedo working on my Wide Glide hack. Inner cable needed 1/8" trimmed to stop drive from seizing. Clocked 57miles so far.

Looking for solution to cable rubbing fender or tire. My thought is some kind of clip at the fender. Must not be too low, must be some inches above the bottom else cable gets stretched on fork full extension. Much of the problem is when forks go lock-to-lock.

Searched Knowledge Base. The thought occurred to look at FXWG '80 -'83. Looks like they drive speedo from gearbox so no ideas there.
Other bikes like FXEF and Lowriders use the bigger front fender with some sort of clip.

Pic shows cable tie holding cable high while I ponder over ideas. Won't take long to rub paint off fender or for tire to wear through cable cover.

Any nice solutions please? Bet this has been done before. Hoping for something a bit better than hole in fender with cable tie... :roll:
spc.jpg
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Wide Glide speedo cable

Post by RooDog »

Got a picture of your front fender?
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Better pic coming up, once I get back tire fitted and reinstalled, I can get it outside for a decent pic. Currently waiting for paint to dry on the rim well. Had a lot of flaky rust.

Need to get cracking because bike goes in for Brake Declaration Cert this week, all part of the paperwork needed for VIN
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Excalibur wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:02 pm Got the speedo working on my Wide Glide hack. Inner cable needed 1/8" trimmed to stop drive from seizing. Clocked 57miles so far.

Looking for solution to cable rubbing fender or tire. My thought is some kind of clip at the fender. Must not be too low, must be some inches above the bottom else cable gets stretched on fork full extension. Much of the problem is when forks go lock-to-lock.

Searched Knowledge Base. The thought occurred to look at FXWG '80 -'83. Looks like they drive speedo from gearbox so no ideas there.
Other bikes like FXEF and Lowriders use the bigger front fender with some sort of clip.

Pic shows cable tie holding cable high while I ponder over ideas. Won't take long to rub paint off fender or for tire to wear through cable cover.

Any nice solutions please? Bet this has been done before. Hoping for something a bit better than hole in fender with cable tie... :roll:
spc.jpg
Thanks.
For decades I have been making one-off stand-offs using commercial rubber grommets and 1/16" stainless TIG wire, don't know who did it first, I got the idea from BMW R90S brake hoses.
Conical hub model Meriden Triumphs use a neat plastic clip on fender for their fat front brake cable.
Small rubberised P clips are readily available off the shelf.
All above will require a hole in your fender
From memory, late FXWG (to 86) used front wheel speedo drive.
Nifty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

I’m thinking if your brake hose is stiff enough, one of those oil line clamps that hold 2 lines. You can shim the speedo cable side with a rubber grommet or if you copied it and made it yourself, it would fit just right. A small piece of 3/8 aluminum flat bar, couple holes, hacksaw, file, polish…

Andygears
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Why this way? Fxwg shovels where transmission driven speedo like Flh
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Why this way? Fxwg shovels where transmission driven speedo like Flh
So, this bike needed a new trans cable drive gear to get speedo working. Otherwise on hand I had 2 front wheel cable drives.

Thanks for the great ideas. Absolutely awesome. Adding some pics as promised...

Forks straight ahead..
spp2.jpg
Right lock
spp1.jpg
Left lock. Tire can rub cable.
spp4.jpg
Left lock, forks fully extended
spp3.jpg
To complicate matters, front end appears to be over length, perhaps plus 2"? Forks themselves are very stiff with way too much stiction. That will be a topic for future when I get them apart.

Return to “Shovelhead”