carpal tunnel

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

carpal tunnel

Post by nmaineron »

Anyone have carpal tunnel? I've had it for years but manageable until this summer. All of a sudden I'm having my hands go to sleep with all most no strength, and painful and annoying like a bad tooth ache.

Any remedies?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: carpal tunnel

Post by panhead »

Surgery to cut the transverse carpal ligament is the only known disease modifying treatment.
According to wikipedia, for what is is worth.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

nmaineron wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm Anyone have carpal tunnel? I've had it for years but manageable until this summer. All of a sudden I'm having my hands go to sleep with all most no strength, and painful and annoying like a bad tooth ache.

Any remedies?
Ron,

Yesterday I got a text message from my brother in Calhoun Georgia, that he had to undergo surgery to fix his right hand.

Other than that, I don’t know of any other solutions.

Neither did his doctor.

Good luck

George
droptopford
Bikes: ...
48 EL
57 FLH
78 FLH
86 FXST
98 ROAD KING
66 Honda CL 160 Scrambler

Post by droptopford »

nmaineron wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm Anyone have carpal tunnel? I've had it for years but manageable until this summer. All of a sudden I'm having my hands go to sleep with all most no strength, and painful and annoying like a bad tooth ache.

Any remedies?
I've had the same symptoms... big time. Got to the point for a while that it really interfered with my riding. Both hands numb at night, numb in the morning and numb while riding. I say numb, but that's not exactly accurate. I had feeling in both hands in the form of severe tingling and pain. As far as feeling things/objects, useful tactile sensation, the hands were numb.

I started religiously doing exercises such as the ones described in this link and other similar ones that can be found on line. In my case, the exercises really helped. Especially the ones that bend your fingers backward, away from the palm.

Give 'em a try. Couldn't hoyte!
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/contentasset ... tunnel.pdf

The symptoms have gone away for the most part but I still try to remember to keep up with those exercises.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Thanks for the link droptop, I'll have to give them a try, although I am terrible about home exercising but this time I'll try anything.

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”