52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Generator test?

Post by Pete808 »

So I have been trying to figure out what is happening to my 47UL, it is draining my battery at an alarming rate. I rewired the bike again to make sure I got it right but something is still not right. I thought it was the battery but after charging it I don't think that it is the issue, either way I have one on the way.

Just today I thought I would look at it again, I dropped the battery in and turn the ignition on, I can't remember if i turned it one click or two but I noticed that the GEN light did not turn on, although lately it has been intermittent so I didn't think much of it. I then reached down because I noticed the cover was off on the timer. While putting the cover on my hand touched the Delco Remy relay and it was crazy hot, as if the bike has been running for an hour hot. Could I possibly have two hot wires running to my generator? Could the generator need a rebuild? Is it the relay only? I just replaced this relay when my battery over charged last year and grenaded on the freeway (I think I made a post about it). Are there any tips or trick on how to diagnose a faulty generator or a faulty relay?

thanks again for helping me out everyone
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Re: Generator test?

Post by Pascal »

Do you have an OEM 6V cut-off, or a 12V relay ?
Make sure the cover doesn't short out, many repop cut-offs / relays have covers with too small holes..thus shorting on rhe terminals.!
So pull off the cover, turn ignition on and see what happens first.
Pete808
Bikes: 42 WLA
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Re: Generator test?

Post by Pete808 »

Pascal wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:33 am Do you have an OEM 6V cut-off, or a 12V relay ?
Make sure the cover doesn't short out, many repop cut-offs / relays have covers with too small holes..thus shorting on rhe terminals.!
So pull off the cover, turn ignition on and see what happens first.
Thanks, I'll test that out. It is a 6V system but the part is a repop part I replaced last year. I ordered another one today just in case, hoping it is better quality.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”