Can someone ID this bike

Redspanheads
Bikes: 1955 FLH Hydra-Glide

Can someone ID this bike

Post by Redspanheads »

Can anyone ID this bike. Its my grandfather on his bike int he early 30's. I was told it is an Indian. Thanks, Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Can someone ID this bike

Post by RUBONE »

Looks like a 1927 Henderson 4 cylinder. 1928 had a front brake, earlier didn't have the fender skirts.
friday
Bikes: 76 HD FLH , indian scout

Post by friday »

Indian bought the FOUR from Henderson = Indian 'ACE' , but yea 1928 had a front brake so could be 1927. I tried enlarging pic, no go
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

That's an Ace front end on the bike, so I would assume it's a '21-'24 Ace four cylinder. After the Henderson brothers left Excelsior, they went to Detroit to start up Ace. After William was killed test riding the '21, the other brother continued making and selling them, with some investors. But as with most uninformed & naive investors, they wanted to start getting their money back right away with interest. They pretty much forced Ace into receivership, selling the remaining bikes, parts & tooling to another company. That company couldn't do much with the stuff and that's when Indian stepped in and bought everything around '26-'27. Some revamping, and the Indian/Ace appeared in '28. Doc

Return to “Indians & other non-Harley models”