Model 51 generator

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Model 51 generator

Post by RooDog »

I am often amazed in my projects just how much little heat is necessary to get things to move.
I use a mechanics butane torch. It often takes very little to work for me....
You do not need to melt the solder....
Mac Torch.jpg
Mac Torch.jpg (81.26 KiB) Viewed 331 times
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

You can try using the wire terminals as a "wrench" to see if that loosens up the screw. Just grab the terminals(the part that is crimped/soldered to the wire) and try turning them in the direction that would loosen the screw. Short twists back and forth may loosen things up as well.

If that doesn't work make sure the screw slot is deep and square, and get a well-fitting screwdriver. Press hard on the screwdriver, and turn, and you should be able to get that little screw to either loosen, or have the head twist right off.

If the head twists off, take the wire terminals off, and you should be able to get the stub out of the threaded hole, using vise grips or other pliers. You may need to screw the stub INTO the hole and out the other side.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Also. sometimes applying pressure in the tightening direction will break the bond holding the screw, and then reverse your twist to remove the object.

There are many tricks for stubborn fasteners including carefully welding a hex nut to the screw head. I had to do it that way to remove a throttle blade screw from an $&$ Super B. A MIG, or TIG, welder's heat is intense but concentrated, and no collateral damage was done on that carbby.....
....RooDog....

Shown here before wire welding , MIG, the screw & nut together, and then it spun right out.....
DSC03468.JPG
DSC03468.JPG (125.06 KiB) Viewed 318 times
jerryd
Bikes: 58 FL, 74 Norton Commando, 70 T100R, 72 Yamaha 75, 65 Honda C65

Post by jerryd »

Well heated the screw with my electric solder gun for 5 minutes and gave it a wiggle. The piece of tin the screw is in immediately broke . Messy looking. Some testing to do.
What do you use to clean up a gen? Is it ok to put in the parts wash? Spray nine and water? Don't want to damage it any more than it is
Thanks again still learning
jerry
Attachments
model 51 gen.jpg
model 51 gen.jpg (206.87 KiB) Viewed 281 times
model 51 gen wire 2.jpg
model 51 gen wire 2.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Jerry, you can use the parts juice that Tractor supply sells, that's what's in my parts cleaner. Go easy, don't leave the fields in it too long.
However, by the looks of things, your fields could use rewrapping!
Here's a link to how I rewrapped some fields in a fan genny a year or so ago. I also have some pics of a spider I repaired for that generator.
I strongly suggest pulling the fields out of the generator frame. If you have one of those hand held impact driver and some good fitting bits, the field shoes should come right out. If you really screw up one of the screws, V twin sells them!
Here's the link to my Blog page: (I hope)
https://linnmotorcycles.com/blog/2021/2 ... -this-week
If you too badly damage the screws on the terminals or the terminals, I can probably fix you up with a few spare pieces if you PM me.

Good luck!
DD
jerryd
Bikes: 58 FL, 74 Norton Commando, 70 T100R, 72 Yamaha 75, 65 Honda C65

Post by jerryd »

Well I will have to set this project aside for a bit. It is apart and an initial clean ready for inspection and part search .Bearings I can source here $15 canadian for the 2 They show an SKF number readily available. Brush holders I think will clean up. The brushes were free and slide nicely. Terminal bolts ,insulators etc will have to be replaced. Some wire repair. Will do a test myself on the armature and fields and get them verified by an expert. And a final clean if all ok and I will have a spare. the 58R on the bike is working fine for now
I have a 1967 BSA motor back from machining to put together for my son who took every nut and bolt apart on the whole bike. Frame is together as far as possible Then a Honda 350 to work on and two other scooters to put right . Glad I paid attention in auto school 50 years ago
So thanks for your help. I will be back , if for nothing else but to say fields and armature are done . I hate dead end threads
Thanks
jerry
Attachments
Gen apart clean.jpg
Gen apart clean.jpg (205.08 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Return to “Panhead”