Oil pump check ball spring

Ball not seating

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
roman
Bikes: 58 Pan, several real Indians

Oil pump check ball spring

Post by roman »

Has anyone used a longer/different spring for the oil pump check ball? My pump still sumps with new spring, ball and recut, lapped seat. Thanks
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Oil pump check ball spring

Post by RooDog »

A long time friend of mine and motorcycle tech told me last month that he replaced the week check valve/ball spring with the same spring used with the regulator valve and successfully stopped the sumping of a customers's bike. And the oil light still goes off indicating that the pump is pumping oil.
It may be worth trying, no?
....RooDog....
chop1543
Bikes: 1938 UL Harley-Davidson, 1955 FL Harley Davidson, 1965 FLH Harley Davidson

Post by chop1543 »

RooDog wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 am A long time friend of mine and motorcycle tech told me last month that he replaced the week check valve/ball spring with the same spring used with the regulator valve and successfully stopped the sumping of a customers's bike. And the oil light still goes off indicating that the pump is pumping oil.
It may be worth trying, no?
....RooDog....
Roodog....Here's what you advised last June. Maybe my terminology was misleading. The lower end and the primary have filled with oil. I thought the check ball and spring in the vertical position on the pump was the pair that prevented the oil from seeping by and filling the cases. BTW, the pump looks just like the one you posted.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Lo siento...
I was responding to another's question, I had misread.
Have you tried the heavier spring behind the check ball? An easy quick fix, if it works, OK, if not, easy enough to undo....
chop1543
Bikes: 1938 UL Harley-Davidson, 1955 FL Harley Davidson, 1965 FLH Harley Davidson

Post by chop1543 »

RooDog wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:26 pm Lo siento...
Have you tried the heavier spring behind the check ball? An easy quick fix, if it works, OK, if not, easy enough to undo....
No problem....Thanks for the response...will try the longer spring this weekend.....I have a private message to you parked in my outbox that for some reason hasn't left yet....administrator says perhaps you haven't' opened it yet....If and when you do, it's just a rehash of what I was explaining....You can ditch it if and when you get it, as I have looked to try to delete it but can't find a button t do that with!
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I have looked to try to delete it but can't find a button t do that with!
Go to the message you want to delete, select it, select delete and click on 'Go'.

outbox.jpg
outbox.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 222 times
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

chop1543 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:37 am
RooDog wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:26 pm Lo siento...
No problem....Thanks for the response...will try the longer spring this weekend.....I have a private message to you parked in my outbox that for some reason hasn't left yet....administrator says perhaps you haven't' opened it yet....If and when you do, it's just a rehash of what I was explaining....You can ditch it if and when you get it, as I have looked to try to delete it but can't find a button t do that with!
Received and responded to.... RD....

Return to “Panhead”