Slipping kicker

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Electricmayhem
Bikes: -Custom Bobber 110cui EVO
-1952 FL

Re: Slipping kicker

Post by Electricmayhem »

Electricmayhem wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:00 pm If I've understood the mechanics correctly there are only 3 places a slip between parts can occur which would cause the Kick to suddenly loose all resistance while kicking

Either between...
1. ...the Kickstarter Gear (on the kickstarter shaft) and the spring loaded Starter Gear (that also operates against the Clutch gear)...or..
2. ...the spring loaded Starter Gear and the Starter Clutch Gear...or..
3. ...the fiber/steel plates in the clutch it self...due to too little pressure on the plates

Correct?
A thought....IF the problem would be that it were either nr.1 or nr.2 that did occur, I guess I would have heard a "rattling sound" when the gears were riding over each other. The thing is that I can't recall that at all...all I remember (after regaining consciousness :wink: ) is that it just slipped. No particular strange sound or noice....the resistance in the kick just disappeared and the knee went backwards....impossible to stop.....that could lead to that the slip occurred according to nr.3....

Any reflections to my reasoning?
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I wore a full length cast for a few weeks from the ole sporty. I also learned that you can't drink the pain away.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Electricmayhem wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:00 pm If I've understood the mechanics correctly there are only 3 places a slip between parts can occur which would cause the Kick to suddenly loose all resistance while kicking

Either between...
1. ...the Kickstarter Gear (on the kickstarter shaft) and the spring loaded Starter Gear (that also operates against the Clutch gear)...or..
2. ...the spring loaded Starter Gear and the Starter Clutch Gear...or..
3. ...the fiber/steel plates in the clutch it self...due to too little pressure on the plates

Correct?
That seems to be correct. The clutch should not slip when kicking. Fix that right away as you will not not be able to rid the bike in that condition.

I installed a brand new kicker shaft in a new "pig snout" from V-Tedd's on my 1950 Panny Project. Also the bumper & screws in the tranny's case, all the other parts are vintage OEM H-D items. It does not slip, and kicks through verry smoothly. The point here is that the new kicker housing and shaft eliminated all problems with kicking that motor.....
.....RooDog....
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Check in the knowledge base for a bad starter clutch SPRING. As I recall, the spring end would catch itself between the trans case and the starter clutch not allowing the ratchet to fully engage and then disengage when the load was applied. What I don’t remember is whether it was the spring was installed upside down or it was an aftermarket spring wound from smaller wire. Intermittent jamming of these parts could be the reason for differing results from other people. Unfortunately, I don’t think the spring stays jammed when the cover is removed so you may not see the problem.

Andygears
chuckthebeatertruck
Bikes: 46 UL
59 XLH
69 SS350

Post by chuckthebeatertruck »

Regardless of parts breakage or slippage there is ZERO reason to ever, and I mean ever, suffer a hyperextended knee whilst kicking.

I ride magneto fired, kick only, strokers, both big twin and sporty. I’m at the point of buying custom kicker shafts for the sporties because I twist stock shafts into pretzels and I’m only 175lbs. I also destroy one set of kickergears a season on my hot thumper.

On the big inch sportsters I literally swing my left leg from hip high whilst standing on the kicker with my right just to get enough speed up to light the magneto. It puts a terrific amount of force on kicker parts known for letting loose.

I spend a lotof time blueprinting kicker parts because of this and most of my bikes have kickers which feel like bank vaults. But, I known parts still break and that I am the fuse for protecting me.

It’s about the biomechanics of the kick. Always, always, always keep your hip and your knee slightly bent and in the same arc as the kicker pivot. The pain comes from straightening them both up because you are kicking straight and not swinging your body in an arc. When parts break or slip and you’re in that straight leg posture, you suffer.

When they break and your leg is curled, you simply land next to the bike, say son of a b7tch, and move on.

So, yes, fix your bike. Second, start learning how to kick differently to protect yourself.

Also,on big twins, if you only feel comfortable kicking from the saddle, it’s often easier to push through compression, then kick for effect. I do this on the magneto big twins to get enough flywheel speed to light the mag.

30 years, dozens and dozens of kick only bikes, not one knee injury. It’s not magic and I’m not more skilled than you. It’s just biomechanics.

Return to “Panhead”