'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Muffler

Post by Excalibur »

What guts is this -97 muffler likely to have. A CAT or no? I'd like to strip them out, perhaps replace with perf tube or similar. They've barely been used but are super quiet. Will the guts slide out if I cut from the rear? It has core/welch plugs, visible front and rear.
97m.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: Muffler

Post by Mongrel505558 »

97 is uncharted territory for me. It would still have been used with an Evo motor. For what it's worth, my 2000 TC88's (one with CV carb and one with EFI) don't have catalytic converters. As for successfully taking it apart - I suppose it can be done. Anything can be done if you put enough time and effort into it. Question is whether or not it's worth it. That comes down to what kind of tools, time and motivation you have.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

This looks like an aftermarket muffler.
Generally you can use an old Hydra Glide fork tube, or a section of water pipe to knock out those welsh plug disc baffles. I ave also used a long blade with an air hammer to cut out the obstructions within some muffs.
....RooDog.....
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

If they are Harley mufflers you can take a hole saw to the exit hole,(1 7/8?) cut the baffle free. there will still be some sound deadening but the noise level will increase to a moderate level...
guppymech
Bikes: 1984 FXE, 2002 883R

Post by guppymech »

Excalibur, If your mufflers are stock Harley units they will have part numbers and emissions info stamped on the underside of them. If they are H-D mufflers you can remove the inner necked down perforated tube with a hole saw as Panacea posted. After the weld at the outlet of the muffler is cut, with a little work the inner pipe comes off it's slip fit at the inlet end leaving a inner perforated baffle like a glasspack. Pics below are stock mufflers I modified as Panacea said, they have a nice low tone and probably no back pressure. The engine seemed to loose some low end torque with these vs. my Paughco pipes.

Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Thanks for the pointers. I hole-sawed the backs out. The first one was easy enough but the 2nd had steel wool which complicated things a bit more. I had to pull hard to get the perf tube to break away. The first I used a slide hammer while the 2nd I used a simple jacking bolt arrangement.
There still remains a small section in front with welch plugs either side. At this stage I'll run them first before deciding if they need more surgery.

Can't remember how I acquired these but I believe these were new-on-bike, taken off when near new. I'd had them tucked away for over 20 years. Luckily I'd put preservative on them.

The removed sausage baffle is interesting. It has the exhaust gases double-backing. I suppose it has the same effect as lengthening the muffler.
bf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Shovelhead”