S&S panhead cases

Pinon shaft oiling

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

S&S panhead cases

Post by Frazier »

Got about 600 miles on a panhead motor I built with S&S cases and S&S cam cover and starting to get a lot of vibration . I remember there was a plug in the end of the pinion and a oil hole in the side of the pinion shaft which would make it a side oiler pinion shaft. Hope fully the S&S cam cover is set up for side oiling pinion shaft otherwise the lower end would not get enough oil ? Once many years ago I built a motor for a customer a 75 shovelhead and sent out a bunch of parts to the chromer including the 1975 cam cover that came off the motor , the chromer was doing more than one shovelhead cam cover that week and got our end oiling cam cover mixed up with a 73 and earlier side oiling cam cover ! I did not notice this and assumed the parts we got back were the parts we gave them . Built the motor and put 100 miles on the bike with no problems , the customerstarted to put miles on it and finally blew the lower end from lack of oil from the wrong cam cover , it took a while to figure out what caused the problem . Im just hopeing the vibrations comeing from this newley built pan motor is not from an oil starved lower end ! Or ? A friends bike had the felts glued in the pans come apart and all the felt pieces clogged up all the oil passages
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: S&S panhead cases

Post by 1950Panhead »

There is a hole in the bushing, a hole in the pinion shaft, a plug in the end of the pinion shaft.
Take the cover off and check these three things.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

If there is a plug in the end of the pinion shaft look closely, it may have a very small metering hole in its center, something in the range of .0325 -.0925, according to $&$.
....RooDog....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I would be very surprised if the pinion shaft bushing was not drilled for side oiling. That's the most direct line to drill. That said, I've heard that the S&S replica pan motors do some things differently and not all parts are interchangeable with factory parts. However; I've never worked on an S&S pan motor. My pan has S&S stroker flywheels and rods, but they are meant to replace the factory parts.
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Yes thanks guys for your response , built this motor myself with S&S cases , cam cover and oil pump , the rest of the parts except for the heads are stock harley parts . I think after the holidays i will contact S&S and ask them about their parts and see what they say about their cam cover oiling
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Yes RooDog seam to remember something that plug should have a .060 hole drilled in it
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Well just got off the phone with S&S and they said their cases used with their 4 rib cam cover , which is what I have are set up for side oiling pinion shaft which is also what i have , they also said the screw in plug at the end of the pinion shaft should remain in the end of the pinion shaft and i should not drill a hole in it as this will cause the lower end to be flooded with too much oil , he also said that they do not use felts glued to the inside of the pan covers on their engines like harley did but they nake their own 1/8” thick rubber pieces the same size as the felts glued inside the pan covers which makes sense cause a friends panhead ate the felts and all the little pieces of felt clogged up the oil passages and killed his engine . I forgot to ask the guy at S&S what their part number is for their rubber felts

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”