Bike build from junked parts

Title problems

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Bike build from junked parts

Post by Robert Luland »

Vermont and all states require a vin number. Don't know where ya came up with that one.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Question, did your buddy ever have that pile you have registered, by any number, in any state? I think your problem is that you have no number at all plus no history. Which in many law enforcement states mean that the serial Numbered parts have been disposed of. And cannot be proven “not stolen”. Some number or identification must be established for the collection you have. Possibly buy a bent titled frame just for the paper, then stamp that number on the engine if the state will use it to register or create a “new construction” identification.

I have met people in your situation who have given up and parted out what they have to buy a basket case with good paper. Sounds like Missouri is a difficult DMV state.

Andygears
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

One can not stamp a Harley VIN into aftermarket cases, well not legally anyway.

Without a factory VIN, you are opening a can of worms.
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Post by clunker1 »

I looked at ebay harley paperwork and understand about titled cases. Although these are better options, both options seem to have considerable risk. I bought a set of trashed pan cases once only to find the numbers were bogus and altered. I ended up trading them off as I thought honesty is the best. Seems trying to be honest will surely include punishment.

How does one go about acquiring cases or title without getting ripped off? I'm not much of a savvy trader, just a mechanic.
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

Also found in Missouri, a motor change requires another Highway Patrol inspection and on a pre 70 harley, application for replacement VIN and installation by Highway Patrol.

Just gets more and more messy.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Might try to get a friend in another state title/register the parts in that state, then transfer the title to you in your state?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

How does one go about acquiring cases or title without getting ripped off? I'm not much of a savvy trader, just a mechanic.
Post a photo here, I can tell you if the numbers are a factory stamp or altered.
HD48FL

Post by HD48FL »

59Panman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 am Might try to get a friend in another state title/register the parts in that state, then transfer the title to you in your state?
If he had an aftermarket frame with an MSO, then he could go for a special construction title. He has an MSO for the aftermarket engine cases, he'd need one for the transmission though. But, he is not going to legally get a Harley titled motorcycle without an OEM left case with a factory VIN/title.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Clunker, nothing for nothing this thread is jack ass. You haven't told anybody here what year the bike is and haven't provided a photo of the vin or what you're working with. With this going forward how do you think anybody here can help you? Bob L
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

clunker1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:29 am Also found in Missouri, a motor change requires another Highway Patrol inspection and on a pre 70 harley, application for replacement VIN and installation by Highway Patrol.

Just gets more and more messy.
?
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

It seems every state has differing rules for “legal” reconstruction of motorcycles. Many states don’t issue titles for bikes older than 19xx?. And in all probability, different “officials” from the same state have some leeway in allowing a reconstruction to become legal. So questioning an avenue of recourse is a good use of our forum.

A friend from Rhode Island bought a cone Shovel from a Connecticut police auction. The police/registry? there stamped lines thru the original number and stamped a new number, issued a title and sold it. While in Daytona, the bike was impounded as illegal. After a week of begging and showing all the Connecticut paper and RI registration, the police relented somewhat and allowed the bike to be torn apart, the offending double stamp case kept, and the rest of bike and parts returned to owner. What a fun bike week!

Andygears
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

Not trying to start a "jack ass" thread. I'm a novice at these legal issues and have received a lot of opinions about various options. I very much appreciate the constructive advice and opinions..

In my case, without knowing the titling issues, I built a full panhead bobber using my deceased friends original 1955 straight leg frame (raked out to 45 degrees -major work to put back to original) and junked damaged parts from friends and a newly constructed 80 ci motor with s&s cases. I kept bills of sale for all used parts and new parts in a book and thought it would be sufficient. I thought I could at least get a reconstruction title if I showed the parts were not stolen. It turns out to be very difficult primarily because laws are written assuming frames are registered with a vin. Not a lot of room for antique barn find parts or even parts kept for years from friends.

I will continue to work on this but should close this thread. Just thought there may be someone else out there doing or attempting to build a bike as I did.
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

post #17 andygears agree with any old tag from the state? old insurance card? that is why you need vin traceable stolen property by insurance company you could apply for abandoned status but still need vin ,dont know any insurance company that would insure without traceable vin ,yes 1955 is over 20 years old no title most states ,bill of sale would be legal, but no vin no forward movement that i know of that is what its about stolen property
HD48FL

Post by HD48FL »

You do not have the original left case/VIN, so it's a moot point.

What you have is a frame with no numbers because it's a Panhead era frame. You have aftermarket cases with an MSO.

You can not title this as a Harley Panhead, it's going to be a special construction. The problem you're going to run into is that you do not have a frame with an MSO/serial number.

In my opinion, your best bet is to buy an aftermarket frame and get it titled as a special construction.

OR

Buy a left case/title and title/register it and there you go.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Who would you go to for an aftermarket frame and an MSO. If I need to go that route?

Return to “Panhead”