Linkert m74b excessive fuel

carb

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Linkert m74b excessive fuel

Post by 59Panman »

DaCs wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:53 pm
kitabel wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:20 am There are at least 9 different carburetors in that range, and many body castings.
I bought the manual on the Victory page through paypal, I am trying to contact them but it seems that the email is not active, do you know how I can contact them to confirm that they received my payment? Cheers
DaCs,

Contact Kitabel on this site,

I believe he is the owner of the website you bought the manual from; "The Victory Library"
DaCs
Bikes: Panhead FL 1960

Post by DaCs »

I apologize for not having answered before.

These days I removed the carburetor, opened it and adjusted the float again (it is a ducky float). When I bought them, it came fully restored with all new components or replica, but this time I realized that in addition to bringing the jet # 19, there is a free hole. Looking in the diagram, it mentions that it is an idle hole body plug or idle passage plug screws. Again, maybe I ask a silly or obvious question but I would like you to confirm me. This hole should be closed with one of the two screws that I mention in addition to the jet #19?

Regards
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

If you mean the 2 holes down in the bowl stem, then yes, one should have a jet, and the other should have a plug
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

#19 jet in this pic. I've been told (by a past member/authority on the subject @NightShift 's boss) that which hole it goes in does not matter.
IMG_5090.JPG
IMG_5090.JPG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Side note, all 4 of my # 19 jets, 2 NOS and two used, will only pass a #47 drill bit. (.0785")
DaCs

Post by DaCs »

thank you all for your help, now I understand why the fuel flow was not stable.
DaCs

Post by DaCs »

I made a mistake, I don't know why I remembered that the screw that stops the flow of gasoline was missing, I disassembled it and it was there. I went back to make the float adjustment according to the manual, after several attempts I managed to turn it on but I could not keep it to be able to make the adjustment, it passes a lot of gasoline and it ends up turning off. I tried with a smaller fixed jet but even dont work. Any other options I can try?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

The jet has nothing to do with the float assembly.
DaCs

Post by DaCs »

Looking at my shut off valve, it only has a seal on the top, between the spring and the knob. But looking on the internet, I found that some have 2, which I think would have to go between the peek and the bottom thread. Could this be causing my carb to pass more gasoline? my peek is totally metal end, the images are taken from the internet for reference.
I hope I explained well

awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

There is no seal that goes on the gas shutoff valve where you show the arrow.

The PEEK at the tip is all you need for the shutoff.

If your shutoff valve is leaking, it could make gas leak out of the carburetor while the bike is not running. But, for that to happen, you'd need to have a leak in the float valve in the carburetor as well.

And while the bike is running the fuel shutoff valve should be fully open, so there is no way that a leak in the shutoff valve could cause it to use too much gas.
DaCs

Post by DaCs »

Thanks for the tip Awander. I I'm a little frustrated with not being able to come to a conclusion on the issue of my carburetor. It is totally reconditioned, in good condition, with new components and I cannot solve it. Is there anything else that you recommend I check out?
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Dacs:

Who did the recondition of the carburetor? If you did it yourself, you may have missed something. Post some detailed photos and maybe someone can spot a mistake.

If someone else did the reconditioning, you should probably talk to them about the problems you are having.

Are the low- and high-speed needles set as recommended in the manual?

And if I understand the problem correctly, you can start the bike but it soon stalls out, and you think that it s getting too much fuel?
DaCs

Post by DaCs »

awander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:17 am Dacs:

Who did the recondition of the carburetor? If you did it yourself, you may have missed something. Post some detailed photos and maybe someone can spot a mistake.

If someone else did the reconditioning, you should probably talk to them about the problems you are having.

Are the low- and high-speed needles set as recommended in the manual?

And if I understand the problem correctly, you can start the bike but it soon stalls out, and you think that it s getting too much fuel?
1.- EBay refurbished, everything new (gaskets, duck float, needles, etc) I just check and adjust float as manual. I post pictures of my carb at the begining.
2.- Same as 1
3.- Yes, same turns as manual
4.-Yes, spark plugs wet of fuel.

Regards
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Have you checked the gas strainer on the Linkert? Maybe you are not getting enough fuel because either there is crap stuck in the Linkert filter or possibly the gas caps are not letting air in; take your gas caps off and see if it makes a difference? Maybe you could have an electrical issue ?
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

DaCs wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:01 pm Ok I will check that parts.

Anybody know what the correct low speed needle length should be? I'm thinking that maybe this is shorter or another model needle.

Regards
3-1/2" or approx. 89mm
27336-27 (1261-27)
27336-27 (1261-27)
IMG_5142.JPG (34.02 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Return to “Panhead”