Rake

Am I correct informed when I say that the 58 - 64 frame has a 30 degree rake??

Singer

Rake

Post by Singer »

Hey

Am I correct informed when I say that the 58 - 64 frame has a 30 degree rake?? (steering tube)
can any one explain to me what a say + 3 or 5 degree rake on the fork will do the handle of the bike, and what is the diffrence in handling is, between a raked steering tube and a raked fork??
Hope you understand what I mean??

Thanx
sleeper

Re: Rake

Post by sleeper »

Singer-
Yes, rake is 30* for '58-'64 Duo-Glide
Here's a link for 'Rake & trail.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

Billy
Thanks for posting this site. I understand the term "trail" a lot better after reading through it.

Red
Singer

Post by Singer »

Hey B!!

Thank you, It really helped....
ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Post by ArizonaMike »

I've looked at rake & trail sites, but they don't answer this question:

I've heard the way to correct the trail when a neck is raked is to also install raked triple trees or raked neck cups. Will installing these correct the "quick-flop" of the front end that occurs at parking lot speeds or at rest? I ask because I've not noticed the quick-flop on custom bikes on the floor doesn't happen. I'd hate to install the raked trees or cups if it didn't correct this. Any builders out there have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Mike-

Setting up proper trail is by no means a guessing game.
One use for "Raked Trees"is to REDUCE trail, that on Long bikes is way too excessive, (tank flop)..Heavy steer @ low speed..
Good trail on a Long bike is Under 6" positive trail. (max)
Many factors affect this, F&R tire heights, how long the tubes/springer is....w/these figures, you can then work on how much rake you need 'in the trees'. In degrees...*
W/out Raked trees, a raked frame w/long fr ends could have +10" or more positive trail (depending) Way too excessive!!!
If you can read your Rake & trail, you should be able to understand 'now' how raked trees Reduce trail.
In a "nut shell' it adds rake to the fr end, w/OUT adding rake to the frame...Effectively reducing Trail...
If you are unsure, I would highly suggest you looking for an experienced shop that does Long bikes a LOT..
After all it's your life on there.. IN-correctly set-up fr ends can develop a hi-speed Tank slapping that most times does not end well..
If you got adjustable trees, this would allow you more room to 'dial it in'.....
Maybe this link will help some more..http://www.american-v.co.uk/technical/h ... /geometry/
ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Post by ArizonaMike »

Thanks for the info, Billy. I'll research the sites and their information. Hopefully the flop on my 12-over glide front end will then end.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I just have one thing to add to what Billy said. You asked about raked neck cups. These do not reduce trail the way that raked trees do. Raked neck cups are essentially the same as adding rake to your frame and will increase your trail number. This results in making the "heavy" handling of your front end at low speed even more noticable if not corrected.

-Craig
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Good point

& the raked bearing cups only come in 3* degrees.
never cared too much for them.. Little off & you have a very squirrely ride.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I agree Billy. I always thought that if the cups rotated slightly or were not put in *exactly* square that you'd end feeling like you were in a rodeo. I stay clear of them because they just seem like a short cut to doin' it right.

-Craig
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Hello Panhead:- If it matters, my rigid factory frame drafting shows 30.7 degrees. Cant say tho if a swing arm should be different. That reading be from a vertical line, Mine came to 59 degrees from a horizonal reference. I'v seen rake refered to in both ways....partshunt

Return to “Frame & Fittings”