Rear hub lugs

the rear brake pedal went way down and the rear felt a little squirly.

Wheels, hubs and tires
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Rear hub lugs

Post by Cotten »

Whew!

I was about to try and see if I could snap one; glad you stopped me before I hurt myself!

...Cotten
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Whew!
I was about to try and see if I could snap one; glad you stopped me before I hurt myself!
...Cotten

****That's the public service kinda' guy, I am!****
SFMike
Inactive member
Bikes: 68 Bonneville
48 EL
65 FLH
03 Road Glide
A few others over the years.

Post by SFMike »

These are on a Panhead, after all.
To the youngsters who grew up without learning about knocking on carburators to free the floats, here's a tip.
Every now and then-you got to go around the whole machine with a wrench, socket, visegrip, pliers, or whatever, and TIGHTEN stuff.
Key words here are machine and tighten. Master those and you got it.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Tried anti seize on my rear hub lugs instead of lock tite, when I had the wheel off to change my brake cylinder. Checked the lugs before my ride up the coast, and all the lugs were loose. Going back to Blue locktite.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

One thing you need to keep in mind, the 2 mating surfaces need to be free of primer and paint.
The part of the drum with dowels and the area on the hub that mate together need to be clean.
If there are coats of paint on both surfaces the drum will come loose from the hub. The paint gets crushed
after riding a while and the lug torque is lost = loose lugs. The countersink or taper part of the hub cannot be over-coated with paint.
You cannot get a proper torque is everything is coated with layers of paint. I've seen this with repaired automotive alloy wheels
where the wheel was painted, too thick. The lug bolts came loose after 3 days. Cause of loose lugs, too much paint at the lug hole taper.
Metal to metal surfaces with a light coat of anti-seize.
Also make sure the threads in the drum are not elongated from running loose, you may need oversize lug bolts if that happened.

Cheers
Jim M
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

James,

I had blue locktite on the lugs before. I wanted to try the anti-seize to see what would happen.

The drum is almost new, the drum threads and lugs were cleaned with denatured alcohol. I will not go back to antiseize on the lugs.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”