Re: Blueprint of frame

Post by edmondpanhead »

i cant see the number on in this buddy
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Download the picture (right click with your mouse and save as) and the enlarge the picture. That helps a bit. If someone has a better picture, please!
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

In recent days I’ve been looking for Pan frame info on this forum and others and I ran across this thread. And I also ran across better pictures of the blueprint.
Eric

https://www.blacksmithvintage.info/items/16209367
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

There is a bigger version in the Documentation section: Image
Speeding Big Twin

Thanks. I’ve seen that version but some of it is illegible. Some images via blacksmithvintage are about the same size as that one and some of their text is easier to read.

Something else I’d like to see is the sketch of the H-D code stamped on the top engine mount. I know it’s about the date code but it would be good to see the sketch in full.
Eric
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 am Thanks. I’ve seen that version but some of it is illegible. Some images via blacksmithvintage are about the same size as that one and some of their text is easier to read.

Something else I’d like to see is the sketch of the H-D code stamped on the top engine mount. I know it’s about the date code but it would be good to see the sketch in full.
Eric
As these motors get older and more “junk” cases & frames are resurrected by welding, a lot of dimensions need to be verified. It would be great if somebody who had 2D Autocad could make some prints to be posted for public knowledge. A frame print with clear numbers, a swing arm frame, a swing arm, and some gear case numbers. I imagine a view of the gear case with the center lines of all the gear centers and bolt holes, deck heights etc. So if a case was welded, the dimensions for remachining would be precise and standard. And we all know the AM stuff has no quality control, so prints could verify that the stuff was made correctly when it didn’t fit.

Andygears
Speeding Big Twin

I agree. And I’d also like to see a drawing Palmer mentioned. Page 952 of his 37–64 SE (2014) said the change to S-L frames for 54 Pans happened at approx engine number 3501. But page 54 said per factory drawing 47000-40A the first 3500 1954 BTs have WB frames, meaning the change to S-L occurred around engine number 4500 due to engine numbers beginning at 1000. However, page 54 is contradicted by page 52 which says 47000-40A is a frame PN. That is true and it is confirmed on page 71 of my H-D catalog.

Page 71.jpg
Page 71.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

And regardless of whether Palmer meant the change occurred around engine number 3501 or 4500, it seems both are in direct conflict with a Harley blueprint which apparently says the change happened around engine serial number 4000. (I do not know the number for the blueprint.)

Does anyone on this forum have a factory drawing or blueprint indicating when changes for 1954 Pan frames occurred? Thanks.
Eric

Return to “Miscellaneous”