Wire Routing Help

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Wire Routing Help

Post by RUBONE »

Always keep in mind that turn signals and spotlights (and other accessories) could be added by a dealer after the fact on plain-Jane models and wiring was routed differently than factory installed pieces.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

https://www.riwire.com/
I've dealt with these guys a couple times and been happy. Check out their Supplies, and then washers,buttons, and springs section.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panz4ever wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am ...Can't thank you enough for the pics. That really helps.
Very welcome
panz4ever wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am Interesting that you mention the hack. I too am adding one to the 65 along with a 3+R tranny set up. My fender has the light on top but I have yet to get around to the lighting for it. At the very least I have a pic of something I can start with.
Again , all my info is for 69.
Wiring the hack, I "think" the brake lamp portion of the harness originates from the rear terminal box and follows straight across the rear hack frame member. I suppose the turn lamp wire is picked up in the vicinity. I did not wire the turn lamp to the hack, just brakes and fender lamp. But as Robbie states, dealer installed could have varied. I routed my wire junction forward, next to the hydraulic brake disconnect.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panz4ever wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am ... I too am adding one to the 65 along with a 3+R tranny set up....
panz4ever,
Have you experienced a 3+Reverse machine previously?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

panhead_kicker wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:54 pm
panz4ever wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am ... I too am adding one to the 65 along with a 3+R tranny set up....
panz4ever,
Have you experienced a 3+Reverse machine previously?
I have used my 44UL w/SC and 3&R for over 40 years. With good gearing and a lack of "RPM fear" it has served me well, all over the surrounding states with a loaded sidecar. But....and this is a big but...if you plan on getting over mountain passes, keeping up with the modern bikes, planning a destination time, you are joyriding your mind. climbing passes in Colorado at 10-11 thousand feet is a second gear grind. Third is too high, second too low, so you just have to drop speed and power it on. And like I said, if you are one of those Harleys don't rev guys, forget it. Because it will be screaming its guts out.
And keep in mind, sidecar equipped bikes are generally easier to move around than two wheelers, you don't have to hold them up, just roll them. So for many the 4 speed option makes more sense on a rider. I guarantee a 69 FL/FLH won't pull high gear on a grade with a loaded sidecar unless it is maybe 90CI or so. So you will have to choose whichever evil you can live with. :mrgreen:
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Rubone, panhead_kicker, the 3+R is my first. Only 4 speed prior with a hack.

In all probability this will only be an everywhere-west-of-the-Rockies bikes once complete. And most of my my riding is just me with no time frame. My most modern bike is my 84 FLH. Yeah, newer than some prefer but it has served me well so far.
IMG_0821-L.jpg
IMG_0821-L.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 947 times
If I ride with someone it is with a buddy who has a stock 1990 Fatboy. Neither of us is into speed or time, so it is pretty laid back and all back roads (except when getting out of the Bay Area).
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Rood Dog, friend of mine who lives on my street came by 2 days ago and gave me a metal replica of one that looks very much like that. He found it at a garage sale for just $1.50. It is a 1965, mine is a 1964. Not much different those first couple of years after they brought them back after a couple of years sleep (1961-1963)
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

At one time I had a 1964 Ford Ranchero, base on the Falco of that year, sharing a lot of mechanicals with thr Mustang. I currently have a ratty 1973 Ranchero, based on the Torino. I like the comfort of a car with the utilityof a 1/2 ton haule.
Best Wishes....
....RooDog...
PS: I do tend to be rude, but the handle is Roo as in Kangaroo... Party on...
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panz4ever wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 am ...the 3+R is my first. Only 4 speed prior with a hack...
I thought quite a bit in regard to using 3+R on my rig, so I get it. All else being equal, "Just because" is good too. :)
And I may still, whenever I get around to adding my frame mount hand shift.

Return to “Electrical”