How to resize pictures

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

How to resize pictures

Post by panhead »

In order to keep the size of attachments (and also pictures in the Gallery) within reasonable limits, please resize the pictures you want to upload. Uploaded pictures have a max of 2 Mb and 1900 x 1600 size, but 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 is recommended and more than sufficient. Do not save pictures with .png extension.

With this program (irfanview) you can resize pictures (and edit and do a lot more). To resize click on Image in the menu and Resize/Resample next.

Next choose: file --> 'Save for web'.
resize1.jpg
resize1.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 16311 times
resize2.jpg
resize2.jpg (11.35 KiB) Viewed 16311 times
resize3.jpg
resize3.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 16311 times

Download Irfanview (free): http://www.irfanview.com

But there are many alternative programs.
old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Re: How to resize pictures

Post by old man emu »

I always resize my pictures before posting them on forums or sending them in emails. I suppose that comes from way back when and the amount of storage on a desktop was measured in Mbs and transfer speed were measured in Kb/day.

Anyway, I use this program: http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

When installed it finds its way into your right button drop down menu. I use the Medium setting and get file sizes of around 300kb which is a good size for inclusion in forum posts. The program returns an output file with the same name as the original with the additional wording (Medium) to let you know which is the resized image. I usually rename the resized file to make it easier to find and upload. This leaves the original unaltered.

Old Man Emu
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I edited tour post, if you edit it again you can see how to add a picture.
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

old man emu wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:18 am I always resize my pictures before posting them on forums or sending them in emails. I suppose that comes from way back when and the amount of storage on a desktop was measured in Mbs and transfer speed were measured in Kb/day.

Anyway, I use this program: http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

When installed it finds its way into your right button drop down menu. I use the Medium setting and get file sizes of around 300kb which is a good size for inclusion in forum posts. The program returns an output file with the same name as the original with the additional wording (Medium) to let you know which is the resized image. I usually rename the resized file to make it easier to find and upload. This leaves the original unaltered.

Old Man Emu
What a great download, also works on thumbnails, no more opening right up to resize, In my new transmission article I resized to smallest size, then selected a whole bunch of images and dragged as one into article edit, then sorted placement , I like it!
Nifty

Return to “Panhead”