Footboard mounting studs

Sarre
Bikes: 1950 HD FL customized
1971 Honda CB750 K0 chopped
2003 Buell XB12s tuned

Footboard mounting studs

Post by Sarre »

Busy installing footboards on my '50 pan project. I got a set of footboards of a later type ('61?) with the later type footboard studs:
- Front left long and straight
- Front right long, straight and with a round intermediate section for the hydraulic brake pump.
- Rear left, longer than right rear and with angle bend
- Rear right, low with almost 90* angle bend without hole.

There are 3 stud sets available, and it is clear that I should get the 1936 to 1954 set.

I've installed the set that I have and found out that the rear right fits fine in combination with the front left long and straight stud. However there is no hole for the spring, which I can drill of course. Q: Is there a difference between the earlier rear right stud when compared with the later rear right stud besides the hole? > Since it is matched with a shorter front stud in the 1936-54 kit.. I suspect it to be shorter, but is it?

The rear left stud didn't fit at all! No clearance between the primary case and the stud.. I had to make major changes to that stud in order for it to fit. Q: is the rear left stud from the 1936-54 kit different than the later ones? ' 55 to '57 kit has the same OEM number but the '58> kit has a new number.

Thanks for helping me out!
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Re: Footboard mounting studs

Post by Frankenstein »

Be interesting to see what useful answers you get. I gave up and just make my own each time :D
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

I've got a large pile of studs, yet every time I build a bike I need to fabricate at least one. I can't imagine buying a "set" and having it work out.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Factory studs work great, but you have to understand why they were built like they were. Fronts were designed to use with crashbars, no bars fitted then a spacer is used. And so on. Without every washer in place, spacers or other bits, they won't line up right.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Q: Is there a difference between the earlier rear right stud when compared with the later rear right stud besides the hole? > Since it is matched with a shorter front stud in the 1936-54 kit.. I suspect it to be shorter, but is it?
Same except hole.
The rear left stud didn't fit at all! No clearance between the primary case and the stud.. I had to make major changes to that stud in order for it to fit. Q: is the rear left stud from the 1936-54 kit different than the later ones? ' 55 to '57 kit has the same OEM number but the '58> kit has a new number.
Different, left studs became longer in 55 to clear primary cover and rocker clutch.
Sarre
Bikes: 1950 HD FL customized
1971 Honda CB750 K0 chopped
2003 Buell XB12s tuned

Post by Sarre »

Great info, I'll keep at it and get some of the right parts to improve fitment.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”