need help, cant set timing on pan...

All ignition related articles
vitza
Bikes: panhead project

Re: need help, cant set timing on pan...

Post by vitza »

Cotten wrote:Vitza!

The manifold need only to be pressurized to 15 psi maximum.

Please do not expect it to hold air like a balloon; It is the function of the regulator to keep the pressure inside constant.

Attaching the regulator is usually a matter of common air line fittings. At such low pressure, common vinyl tubing will stay on barbed nipples easily. (One fellow used a small rubber ball crammed into the manifold, with a pen barrel poked through it!)

The tiniest of leaks can give tuning fits.

Your pushrod tubes are not drained by pressure, but by gravity.
It is proper for the tubes to have some oil within them for a minute or two after running.
If you have excessive oil, for quite some time, look for blockage (usually from the bottom seal, if it is not cork). Otherwise, your modern high-volume pump may be flooding the heads, which can foul plugs as well!

....Cotten
awesome!! thank you cotten!

as far as the excessive oil pressure build up... i noticed that ive got oil leaks in both valve cover gaskets... is there a way you would recommend how i can check excessive oil build up? ive taken the front valve cover off and there is no oil pooling anywhere which leads me to believe that the oil is being drained... i think the oil drain channel is by the exhaust valve spring? there was no pooling there so does that mean those stroker plates and base gaskets are not blocked?
vitza

Post by vitza »

58flh wrote:Like bosheff said relax, he told you straight-up what the marks are & hes right-on! ---Also what I do when setting timing is raise the rear wheel off the groung an inch or 2,puit i3rd gear & get that line in the middle of the hole using the rear wheel!-this will take-up all the slack in the gears,primarychain,cam--so your ending-up with a true TDC. Now get a voltmeter or testlight & advance your dist. rotate your discplate not dist. until light comes on --there! tighten the 2 screws & as you probably know always recheck that plate moves it may take 2-3 times but youll get it! .022 gap on points I go a loose 29 on my plugs also I use bosh platinums. On a cold morning i twist it 3 times dryfire 2times hit the ignition & 1 kick is all it takes everytime. Even when engine hot like a quick 711 stop for something. Then I just turn on the ignition & 1 kick & instant idle I do not give no gas when hot even 1 twist & your kickin 20 or 30 haha more like 10 or 15 & who the hell wants to do that? Anyway just listen to the guys on yhis site you will be guided in the correct direction---they know what there talking about---GOOD-LUCK----58flh
right on man... i actually figured out the whole timing/starting issue... bike literally starts first kick most of the times now (2nd kick rest of the time)... i havent ran it besides after figuring out the timing issue because i want to figure out the intake leak
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

way to go bro! My exp. is its always somthing dumb & simple 70% of the time,get a good engine manual & just read in your spare time! You should definetllearn your oil passages & scavenging system! top & bottom-end. Gearcase well you get the pic. Anyway Glad you were able to get her to a 1-2 kick-n-go! Impressive! Just remember to keep these bikes up & running like that its a constant check-up! I personaly ride all the time my bike is my main form of transportation, Also my 58flh motor is in a rigid frame of 1949 vintage-all stock!. Just love Rigids! anyway when I hit about 400 miles I adj. everything ,mainly primary-chain & rear-chain ofcoarse! look for loose screws & you will find,em! As for the TIMING using the rear-wheel trick--20yrs. or so an oldtimer who use to race these machines told me about it. Remember by using the rear tire you will get a true T.D.C. when that lines in the middle of the hole!. All gear lashes are taken-up chains-tight motor is under a load so to say/I have been timing my pan & all my customers bikes this way for a long time now never had complaints/just thans, it never started in 1 or 2 kicks or dam I never have to lay on that starter-button anymore/stuff like that & I am glad to pass this info on as it was to me!!! If I helped one bro understand this procedure its worth it /he will show others & thats what this site is all about! There are some extremely talented men on this site/my favorite may I ad!-Just open your mind & suck like a sponge. Enough rambling thanks for a great-site---58flh
vitza

Post by vitza »

58flh wrote:way to go bro! My exp. is its always somthing dumb & simple 70% of the time,get a good engine manual & just read in your spare time! You should definetllearn your oil passages & scavenging system! top & bottom-end. Gearcase well you get the pic. Anyway Glad you were able to get her to a 1-2 kick-n-go! Impressive! Just remember to keep these bikes up & running like that its a constant check-up! I personaly ride all the time my bike is my main form of transportation, Also my 58flh motor is in a rigid frame of 1949 vintage-all stock!. Just love Rigids! anyway when I hit about 400 miles I adj. everything ,mainly primary-chain & rear-chain ofcoarse! look for loose screws & you will find,em! As for the TIMING using the rear-wheel trick--20yrs. or so an oldtimer who use to race these machines told me about it. Remember by using the rear tire you will get a true T.D.C. when that lines in the middle of the hole!. All gear lashes are taken-up chains-tight motor is under a load so to say/I have been timing my pan & all my customers bikes this way for a long time now never had complaints/just thans, it never started in 1 or 2 kicks or dam I never have to lay on that starter-button anymore/stuff like that & I am glad to pass this info on as it was to me!!! If I helped one bro understand this procedure its worth it /he will show others & thats what this site is all about! There are some extremely talented men on this site/my favorite may I ad!-Just open your mind & suck like a sponge. Enough rambling thanks for a great-site---58flh
thanks man and ya, i couldnt agree more about the wealth of knowledge on this forum! its a total blessing to have a reference like this...

as far as the one kick thing, i think i have to attribute it to that little ebeyond unit

thanks for the info! i sure am sponging it all in!!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

[quote="vitza"] as far as the one kick thing, i think i have to attribute it to that little ebeyond unit [quote]

Vitza!

If the 'ebeyond' starts with less than one kick, that would be impressive!

....Cotten
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

I blame my one kick kindness to a points loaded timer and a good tune.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

jdpan hit her right on the head....bosheff
38knuckle
Bikes: 52fl

Post by 38knuckle »

panbagger wrote: Sat May 28, 2011 1:55 am ya know everybody has their own opinion on spark plugs, but I say what ever you think works best for you in your pan. I have a 52 and I have run Bosch Platinums in my pan. Had them in my pan for over 5 years and no problems what so ever. Just my 2 cents. Scott
What's the Bosch #?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I run the Bosch platinums in my mildly modified 1950 74" Panny. The number on the metal body is WR9FP, I don't know if this a catalog number or what, I get them off of eBay. I also run BPs in my 90" Shovelhead, and 100" Evo, # FR8DPX....
Don't know why you can't get an answer to a simple question....
....RooDog....
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Don't know why you can't get an answer to a simple question....
Maybe because this was posted in the Knowledge Base.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

How else should the question have been handled?
It seems that the response I supplied is posted, telling me that the question was never answered in the first place.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

The Knowledge Base is meant as archive, so it's better to post new questions on the actual forums. More people visit those.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Return to “Ignition”