Oil sumping

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Oil sumping

Post by doug_heisel »

What exactly is sumping. What causes it. And how do you stop it. :?:
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Oil sumping

Post by steinauge »

What we generally refer to as "wet sumping" means there is too much oil in the crankcase.this causes oil to come out the crankcase vent,around the pushrod tubes,around the tappet blocks etc when the engine is started.the leakage will continue until the scavenge side of the oil pump clears enough oil out of the case to stop it. the common causes are overfilled tank,improperly seated feed check ball,restricted scavenge line or fitting,non standard oil filters or coolers,wear or damage in the scavenge side of the oil pump,too much breather gear end play.HTH
doug_heisel

Post by doug_heisel »

Thanks for the info.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Sumping is your motorcycle's way of telling you it needs to be ridden more often.

The NightShift
doug_heisel

Post by doug_heisel »

Once my pan is on the road I dont think that will be a problem. I plan on riding it alot spring summer and fall. mabey some in the winter. Cars are for icy winter roads. :lol:
captainharley
Bikes: '65 FL

Post by captainharley »

I had my gas tanks "sump" on me once...... Forgot to turn the gas off and the float on the carb (L series S&S) stuck open! The whole engine filled with gas. I had to pull the left case drain plug and spark plugs then do a whole lot of jumping up and down on the kick start. Once I figured it was cleared I cranked her up and rode slow and easy to a gas station. Filled her up and road home about 30 miles. The next day I changed the oil and as far as I
can tell there was no damage. Now, religously, I shut the gas off when not riding.PERIOD. :oops:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Cap'n,

Be glad very glad you didnt have the cases sealed with gasoila.

If you did it would be in the filter.

Happens to the best of us.

tHE nIGHTsHIFT
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Just to split some hairs:

Harleys and Indians are "dry sump" motors, so when the motor fails to evacuate the crankcases while running, it is dynamic or 'wet' sumping.

Indians are notorious for it, as the return side of the pump can easily lose its prime. H-D's need something wrong to fill up when running, such as the possiblilities that Steinauge mentioned.

Filling the cases while sitting is static sumping, and the oilpump ballcheck is nearly always the culprit.
Occasionally just a fresh spring and 3/8" ball will reduce the leakage, and burnishing the seat can often reduce it to nil.

Beware, however, that ballcheck seats that have been beaten with drifts, or chewed by cutters, or widened by coarse lapping may not benefit much without the damaged area ground away first.

...Cotten
Njglide
Bikes: 48El
47u
74flh

Post by Njglide »

After repeated burnishing of my check ball seat on my 48el I’m ready to throw in the towel.
I really hate to put an s&s pump on this motor.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”