Cam recommendations

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
panomania
Inactive member

Cam recommendations

Post by panomania »

Well, I'm tired of fighting the problems Ive been having with my 48. I need it to crank and run good without pinging, spittin or spuddering. Im also replacing my manual advance unit with a auto advance distributor.
A few of you have suggested that I replace my camshaft.
So I am going to heed to your suggestions and ditch the a-grind. I need some suggestions on a good cam. Has anyone tried the f-grind by andrews?
Heres what I currently have.

48 pan
80 inch, stock bore stroker kit (s&s)
andrews a-gring cam
s&s super-e carb
drag pipes
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Cam recommendations

Post by Cotten »

Go mild; the intake ports of a pan, particularly the early ones, will not properly accommodate even a chubble intake valve, much less a radical cam. And don't forget that your rockerarm ratio moves the valve farther anyway.

The favorite of most is the Sifton 440 Cobra,.. but you may find it hard to locate. V-TWIN bought Sifton, but no longer offers that profile.
I think BlackWidow does, but I don't have a link handy.
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Well, just got back from the local hd dealer. I picked up a auto advance dist, and a sifton (aristocrat) camshaft. Its almost the same lift as a stock FLH cam but with a smigion more duration. Anyone tried this cam?
Also I have a great deal on a low mileage Andrews a-grind if anyone might be a prospect.
thanks
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I run a pretty much standard '62 pan with an SU carb. I use a Sifton cam they call "cruiser". Gives a bit mor low-mid power. Runs great, starts without too much arguing and takes moderate amounts of gas.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I have been hearing bout a Crane Fireball "A" 479 lift 296 duration but it needs hydraulics the text says, I have one but no hydraulics in Pan may run in Shovel but its strickly a generator bottom cam ......
I been running an Andrews "A" grind for over 20 yrs. and no problems But my bike is a stock 74" with mild head work, meaning a little port and polish. And this cam is great for low end and top end maybe a little rough in the middle but I don't notice it.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

My friend Ente, also a member of this board, has this cam overview on his panhead site! http://www.jalsbo.com/html/ente/panhead ... d_cams.php Hope it can give you some ideas!
km-eek

Cam recommendations

Post by km-eek »

I recently replaced the cam in my stock '63 FLH with an Andrews J cam after a 2nd roller tappet (front exhaust again)disintegrated over the past decade. The front exhaust lobe on the old cam was badly hammered.

With the new cam, the front exhaust lifter would not pump up to stop that valve from clattering. I finally replaced the lifters and lifter blocks. Now all valves quiet down fine.

With the Andrews J cam the engine starts much easier; 1st kick after primed. The engine does not like to idle as slowly as before. At low speeds the power seems only slightly better. The motor now likes to rev higher before ready to shift; almost like it has longer legs. Before, it "seemed" ready at about 50 mph to go from 3rd to 4th gear. Now, it "seems" ready at 55-60. Roll on power in high gear is dramatically improved between 50 to 70 mph.
Blind Melon
Bikes: 1935 Harley VD

Post by Blind Melon »

I've had really good luck with the Andrews #6 on small strokers... Of course I've also had great results with
the Andrews C cam... Most will tell you that's too much cam..........My experience tells me different..
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The original poster may have lost interest after 11 years BM....

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”