sprocket ratios for touring ?

Don Vito
Bikes: 1965 FLHB

sprocket ratios for touring ?

Post by Don Vito »

Hi all new guy here I just got my first pan a 65.
Shes beautiful Hi Fi Blue 90% factory parts.
So she needs lower RPMs at top speed I think.
When im on open roads i will go 75 - 80 mph and am concerned about
the motor running at those RPMs.
Im not aware of a calculator for rpm/speed for our bikes.
Im also not sure I can achieve this with a simple sprocket change.
I did look at Baker I think they offer a 6 speed but it like 4k ouch.

Thanks George
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: sprocket ratios for touring ?

Post by 59Panman »

Perform a search on Panhead Engine Speed or Sprocket Ratio.

You will find many threads.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

I tried changing compensator sprockets to achieve the same lower rpms at high speeds on my 65 flh. My 65 motor is built to stock specs except for 40 thousanths over pistons and velva touch lifters. Tried a 23 compensator gear and felt i was lugging the engine. These are heavy bikes which is why i think they went with the lower gearing at factory. Went back to the original factory 22 tooth. Also, in my opinion, these bikes are not fun after 70 mph. They just dont handle the higher speeds very well. At least not on these socal roads.
Don Vito

Post by Don Vito »

Thanks for the links and info much appreciated
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Went back to the original factory 22 tooth
Isn't 23 tooth original for FL and 24 tooth for FLH for '65?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I think you'll find a 24 on the engine or the trans will be a bit to tall for a stock weight 65 FL/H. A 23/23 is all you're probably gonna get away with, without slipping the clutch a bit, and still be able to ride 2 up. 51 is the smallest you go on the rear with a drum so you're hosed there. If ya think ya need to run 75 or 80 do it on a japper or maybe a beemer but not on a 65 FL/H. Others may not agree with me, but these old hogs weren't designed for the kind of speed you're talkin bout....bosheff
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Clicked on link, went weird..
But I digress, if ya want to push 70+ all day, your one brave pup. These tractors are not set up in my book to clock that speed for long.
Oh you can do a few tricks etc, run a longer primary chain as example, but at the end of the day, the gain is nominal,
but lets see what the gallery chimes in on.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Post by drinner-okc »

George, I've been riding a 65 many years, in stock configuration. rear drive is 22 tooth Trans and 51 tooth rear sprocket (drum) my bike will do 70 comfortably. With the stock Aluminum primary you can run a 23 tooth sprocket with no worry, and a 24 tooth if you stay on top of rear chain tightness. people will say they run a 25, but any chain movement will get into the starter housing or ratchet top housing.
Your 65 is 53 years old and the technology predates the interstate system. I'm with Bosheff, get something else for when you have the need for speed & ride the 65 to relax and enjoy life. Back roads & older hiways have better views & more interesting people anyway.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

My guess is that your RPMs are not nearly what you think they are. A bit of RPM is way better for the engine than lugging with too little RPM...
Unless you just want to keep the engine builders working!
Don Vito

Post by Don Vito »

drinner-okc wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 am George, I've been riding a 65 many years, in stock configuration. rear drive is 22 tooth Trans and 51 tooth rear sprocket (drum) my bike will do 70 comfortably. With the stock Aluminum primary you can run a 23 tooth sprocket with no worry, and a 24 tooth if you stay on top of rear chain tightness. people will say they run a 25, but any chain movement will get into the starter housing or ratchet top housing.
Your 65 is 53 years old and the technology predates the interstate system. I'm with Bosheff, get something else for when you have the need for speed & ride the 65 to relax and enjoy life. Back roads & older hiways have better views & more interesting people anyway.
Thanks and I completely agree with you on all of your and Basheff points about the ride characteristics of the old bikes.
I also agree on taking the back roads 100% but I live in Southern California for the next 10 years at least so getting out of town is
a big tricky on the freeways way to many people with their heads up their ass. So riding in the slow lane is just dangerous in my opinion.
Im going to put some more time on it she might have to take some revs getting out of town.

Thanks again guys Ya All are a great group
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

You are fortunate to have a '65, I assume it is electric start. If you insist on running interstate speeds I am a strong advocate of the 5 into 4 conversion. Yes top gear is still direct drive but the fiver has a super low 3.24:1 first gear which allows you to gear up your engine and tranny sprockets for a good highway ratio and still not lose your hole shot. Granted you will sacrifice originality, but it is strictly a bolt in proposition with no permanent damage and fully reversible. I have the Sputhe 5/4 kit in my '68 Shovelhead and I'm not going back, ever. It is the single best thing I have ever done to that scooter.
The Harley 5 speed is a superior design over the 1936 engineered 4 speed, currently in your bike, with all roller bearings, no brass bushings to wear out, close ratios, shorter throw on your toe shifter, and modern metallurgy/technology
It's your ride, make it yours....
RooDog
panhog
Bikes: 1964 Pan

Post by panhog »

just my 2 cents. 6 gears is way to much for a 74 to handle. 2 more gears than stock. I tried running a 26 tooth CS on my 1964. Too high. Went back with a 24 CS tooth. Good for me. 22 tooth is stock. Great compromise.

Return to “Sprockets”