Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Springerpanhead
Bikes: 57 ? Pan chopper
85 custom ironhead sportster
37 Indian Junior Scout

Bendix carb

Post by Springerpanhead »

Installed a new bendix carb on my 65 Pan chopper. Set the jets according to the instructions ( 1 1/2 turns idle jet, 4 turns main jet) I have had much experience with many engines and 4 turns sounded like a hell of a lot to me, but I followed their instructions anyway. Kicked her twice and she fired right up. Took her for a ride and followed the instructions for leaning out, had good results on setting the idle, but the main adjustment didn't appear to be doing squat. Shut her down and she wouldn't restart. Pulled the plugs and they looked like two soot balls. I will skip all the interm discoverys and get to the meat of the situation. The instructions say to bottom the needle against the spring then count out 4 turns, way too rich,screwed all the way down it was still too rich. I removed the spring and bottomed the needle against the jet and using a dial caliper measured the distance from the carb body to the bottom of the needle adjusting knob, it measured 240 thousandths, reinstalled the spring and bottomed the needle against the spring as called for in the instructions, and again measured the distance from the carb body to the bottom of the knob, it was 290 thousandths. That is FIFTY THOUSANDTHS OPEN before you even start counting turns outward. At that point the needle is probably already doing nothing. I installed a shorter spring, bottomed against the jet, backed open TWO TURNS, Put in clean plugs and fired up on the second kick, took her on the road and leand down another 1/2 turn and got beautiful response, and clean plugs, and yes, she now starts hot.
VPH-D

Re: Bendix carb

Post by VPH-D »

Good for you, I was never able to figure out the Bendix adjustable main jet conversion.
VPH-D
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I ran that setup back in the day and found just under 2 turns worked on my 74" FX.I didn't have a spring problem though,course this was late 70's and the kit may have been different.That setup ran great on my machine...
kickstartworker
Bikes: 61 duoglide, 79 shovelchopper

Post by kickstartworker »

Nobody knows where the new Bendix are made or assembled.....maybe in Pingpong-County !
You can be very glad, that you figured out what problem it was and I am sure some of us will appreciate this :D
Jörg
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

That's the Problem today!--nobody knows whats coming in the master rebuild kit!-Even the cheap--tune-up kits!--Yea 4-turns is way rich for that thing!--I have 2-carbs that I run on my pan,& right now I have an ADJ. Mainjet Bendix on it!--I Love that carb!--in December where I live were at 30-degrees at night & I leave at 430-am. 2 turns on the throttle & 1/4 choke Dry kick twice to get a charge in the barrels,Ig.-on & 1-kick shes running!--If it don't fire on the first kick The 2nd is a given!---You can really make a BENDIX scream on a bike if you that's what you want!--But If you got some $$$$ to spend geta S&S or a USED S&S-B would be a fine choice to run if you got big-inch motor!///Glad to hear you got it running!--STAY-SAFE---RICHIE
Springerpanhead
37 Indian Junior Scout

To all who answered my post THANK YOU and please excuse the tardiness of my reply. Got hit by a pickup truck while crossing an intersection, his fault. Am now getting parts to rebuild the pan, and hope to be riding again in the spring of 15. Might be getting kind of old for this shit, but it's better than dying in a diaper full of crap in a nursing home.
Springerpanhead
37 Indian Junior Scout

During the rebuild I think I will add electric start, that damn truck broke my hip, would appreciate any info on experience with different systems. THANKS
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Here are a couple of links.

RSES
http://4speedelectricstart.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TECH
http://www.techcycle.com/panhead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

JUST wanted to say that BENDIX carbs. are SWEET IF you know how to DIAL one in!--As you read the 4-turns out was just dumping RAW FUEL down the throut!& thats along with the PUMPSHOOTER!.GARY-BANG did just that!-He Banged a GREAT CARB. to DEATH!.I have fixed plenty of his overbores & WRONG pitch HI-speed JET ADJ.!-Along with other things that I have in my garage that I log everything I have done to his junk!--There olny good for the BORE!-If your running a 96-incher or More stroker!--The Innards need changing & I dont have enuff time to type all the shit out!-I ran a BENDIX for YEARS!--I know ALOT of guys who run them & usually this is the time of year when I get a few BENDIX carbs. to rework so a guy can bolt-up & just have the IDLE to set!.If the Motor is NOT STOCK-THEN I do ALL the tuning so they can have 1-kick bikes!.I now this past year put a S&S-E on & worked out all the kinks!--There are few things a NON-Mechanic can handle at home for a great carb.I Never use the enrichment valve until 2-weeks ago when we hit weather in the 30s!/Even then as soon as she lights OFF goes the valve & I set the rpm a smidge more to warm-up Before I go out.Enuff -(All wrongs I found are in the K-BASE)--Good-Luck---RICHIE
Raggs60
Bikes: 1948 FL

Post by Raggs60 »

To Springerpanhead, check out tech cycle panhead starter kit, I put one on my 48, got same problem had right knee torn off in a head on in 1992, leg was repaired in Joint Diseases in Manhattan, was in there 6 months, its a great thing, I still kick once in awhile, but its nice to strattle her and hit that button, good luck, Nick.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”