carb problem with a 54 pan

Solo_rider
Bikes: 64 flh duo glide
54 fl hydra glide
2013 bmw r1200rt

carb problem with a 54 pan

Post by Solo_rider »

I was out on a local chapter road run and the subject bike started acting like it was starving for fuel. At first I thought it was out, but once checking I found I had about a gallon and a half in the tank. Filled it and it ran for another 30 miles before acting up again. Nursed it home and could not get it to restart. (This is typically a one kick bike). Pulled the air cleaner and it fired and ran on the either. Pulled the fuel screen and it was fouled with what looked like broken down cork gasket material. cleaned it and replaced the gasket with new and still would not start.
Question: Is there anything to check prior to pulling the carb and replacing the rest of the gaskets, checking the passages to ensure they are open? The bike had set in a collection for a decade and I have put about 200 miles on it. Not afraid to pull the carb apart, but was hoping I may not need to do it. Bike is bone stock with the original linkert and all lines and hardware is original. Thanks for any thoughts that might help a relative newbie out.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: carb problem with a 54 pan

Post by Bigincher »

Have the tanks been lined with a sealant product like Kreme?
If not, it could be as simple as a bugger in the valve needle seat. That's the fuel valve in the small end of the float bowl that the float opens and closes.
If you found remnants of cork in the strainer, it very well could be in the valve needle and seat, as well. If it was mine, I would check for fuel flow there and work my way back uphill from there.
Solo_rider
Bikes: 64 flh duo glide
54 fl hydra glide
2013 bmw r1200rt

Post by Solo_rider »

Thanks
I think that I will have to pull it apart and check that as well as all of the other passages. I think that I am going to look at the screen as well. I thought that it should have stopped the stuff from going in there. If it did, then it must be from other gaskets in the carb... Gasket kit is coming. Maybe later this week... Thanks again.
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

Solo_rider wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 pm Thanks
I think that I will have to pull it apart and check that as well as all of the other passages. I think that I am going to look at the screen as well. I thought that it should have stopped the stuff from going in there. If it did, then it must be from other gaskets in the carb... Gasket kit is coming. Maybe later this week... Thanks again.
There aren't many gaskets on a Linkert carb, and to my knowledge, none of them are cork. Edit: I've been reminded that the gasket on the strainer is cork.
I've been through my three Linkerts (M-88 and two M-74Bs). The gaskets I've replaced are sort of pressed paper or cardboard. Could it be that the cork gaskets on your gas caps are breaking down?
Last edited by Mark44 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Cork at the strainer on carb as well. Take the strainer cap off. attach a funnel and make sure gas flows freely out the strainer from the tanks before you take the carb off.

Return to “Troubleshooting”