Bendix to S&S mount ? and riding season is crappin out!!!

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Bendix to S&S mount ? and riding season is crappin out!!!

Post by foundationapps »

Hi all, Long, great summer of riding the 48 / newer stuff bike. About 5000 miles on since March. Wore out a tire this summer!!

I've decided this Bendix is pretty shot out, detect some warp-age at the bowl / carb body interface, In consideration of the quality of rebuild kits and reputation, I've decided to go with an S&S Super E.

Question: The bike is using an S&S intake manifold with the Bendix carb mounted to that, 1/2" spacer. Does anyone know if the bolt spacing is different with the S&S carb vs. the Bendix bolt spacing. I'd like to save some money by NOT buying the entire S&S kit and just using the existing S&S manifold.

As always, Very respectfully.,

Trig
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Re: Bendix to S&S mount ? and riding season is crappin out!!!

Post by nmaineron »

You should have no problem seeing that you already have the S&S manifold,you will probably have to ditch the spacer!
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Thank you sir!
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I don't believe S&S makes a special manifold to fit a Bendix carb. The E will bolt right on.
VPH-D
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Thanks for the confirmation on the manifold fellas. Reading in an earlier post about testing a manifold before installing (was a plumber type) I spotted the very fine manifold seal kit sold at...

https://fnacustomcycles.com/shop/fna-ti ... intake-kit

So, I ordered one, as this intake issue happens a couple times a year and it's drama addressing it. Got the new kit 2 days ago, and while waiting for the Super E to arrive, I figured I'd test install the 4 clamp wide band seal.

1. The quality of the parts is first rate. The hose (band) material is very pliable even at very cold temps. (chilled down to -10).
2. Installation is very simple compared to an O-ring installation. I lined the band material with a light coat of high grade weapons grease to slide around on the metal parts easier.
3. Installed as follows:
A. Placed the forward band on the front cylinder head first.
B. Placed the rear cylinder band on the rear cylinder portion of the Manifold (again, these bands were lightly greased for ease of movement.
C. Placed the narrow steel clamping bands over the front band on the engine and the rear band that is on the manifold itself.
D. Inserted the front cylinder portion of the manifold into the band on an angle and at the same time, stuffed the rear manifold portion WITH band attached onto the rear cylinder head.
E. Wiggled all into position, which was easy to do. 200% easier than O-rings and the associated clamp (whatever method or choice you use).
F. Lined up the 4 steel band clamps to the far outside edges of the rubber bands and tightened them up lightly.
G. Curiosity, informal bubble check, with band clamps finger tight only.... 12 PSI bubble check with a rubber lab cork. NO LEAKS on first check, NO leaks while manipulating the manifold around in the bands. Amazing seal ability.

Will update this informal observation when the engine is running. Super easy part to use.

Respectfully,
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Don't forget a carb support from the lower carb bolt to the center crankcase stud.
VPH-D
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Roger that, good reminder as I had removed the one off the Bendix and sit it in the can to remember where I put it, and had already forgot... lol

Getting old is HELL on earth!!

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”