Head work and a few questions/thoughts

mik666
Bikes: 73 norton,61 triumph T110,74,78,83 Laverda's,73 Ducati,61 FLH

Head work and a few questions/thoughts

Post by mik666 »

Hello All
so things are slowly coming along in the 61 pan "refreshing" (new shocks, clutch, rear brake assembly with new master cylinder, oil tank cleaned out, SU carb rebuilt , paint, toss chopper style handlebars, get pogo seat setup etc, stock kickstand setup) and it seems like with every turn of the wrench i find some new concern - with the newest being the rear exhaust spigot wasn't welded in, rather just pressed in with looks like some high temp sealant put on it and pushed into the head, and there is a chip on the intake lip (maybe 1/4") of this head that i noticed when replacing the intake seals. So my question - i know i should pull the whole damn motor and go through it, but i also know that will be $$ and if i can get the bike running decently and put that off for a year or two to let the wallet regenerate a bit I'd be happy. I ran a compression test and each cylinder is about 93+lbs, kinda low but i figure it probably has the 7.5 piston in it so not bad. I'm thinking i should at least pull the heads and have them looked at and exhaust flange addressed and intake lip fixed. I was tempted to just get STD heads but thankfully for the sake of my pocket they are unavailable until next year. So my question - can the heads be pulled with the motor in, and more importantly anyone know a good shop in SoCal (i'm in san diego, but any calif shop will do) that has welding skills - i talked to Perry at Flo, but he says his welder quit and advised reworking V-twin heads - which would be abt 2K at the end of the day so i'd rather fix my current heads or wait until the STDs are available for that kinda $.
thx in advance!
Mike
Last edited by mik666 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Head work and a few questions/thoughts

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Yea you can pull the heads while motor still sitting in bike/cradle.. Where are you located at, if your just addressing the exhaust flange press in,
look into HTS2000. Good luck..
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

A goofed up exhaust port is not enough reason to scrap your heads. A non stock cam can affect compression. There shouldn't be any shortage of shops in So Cal that can weld an exhaust port.
VPH-D
mik666

Post by mik666 »

Thx guys
no i'm not considering scraping the heads (at least not now) - i'm just going under the assumption, perhaps incorrectly, that there may be additional problems (cracks etc) that may need to be addressed so i was looking for an shops with experience repairing panhead heads somewhat locally just in case

good call on cam and compression, hadn't thought of that !
thx
Mike
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Tatro machine works in san diegosuper nice giy but you got to stay on top of him to get work done. He has videos on youtube. Check him out.
mik666

Post by mik666 »

socalrider wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:54 pm Tatro machine works in san diegosuper nice giy but you got to stay on top of him to get work done. He has videos on youtube. Check him out.
yeah considered him but he does only "interesting" work.....

i always thought interesting was connected to $ but maybe i'm wrong

Return to “Cylinderheads”