Brake Lever Arm

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Brake Lever Arm

Post by Tudelum48 »

I've been working on my 1950 FL project for almost a year now. I'm getting closer thanks for all your help. I know have a problem getting the brake lever linkage sorted out. My left side 42556-35 brake lever arm has a weld spot on it to basically looks and acts like a stop for the activation for the linkage. My weld spot hits the transmission frame and limits the throw of the linkage. I can't get it to align to get the proper throw I need. Photos of the RIGHT side (2) hole arm shows it at about the 7 o'clock position while resting. The weld spot stop keeps the left side arm from rotating back because it hits the bottom of the transmission base.
My question is has the weld spot on the left side arm suppose to be there? Or am I positioning it wrong?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Brake Lever Arm

Post by 1950Panhead »

The tranny plate is the stop for the left brake arm.
Any welding is a repair.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Sounds like you have it right.
With the arm on the left side bottomed out against the transmission base plate, adjust the actuating arm on the drum by threading the rod clevis in or out. I set it so I can hear the shoes drag, then back it off until they don't drag any more. (Be sure to center the shoes in the drum per the manual.)
Then adjust the linkage on the right side accordingly.
Here's a view of the linkage and pedal on the right side, lifted off a Factory Photo. It shows how everything should look when properly adjusted.

Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

The small spot weld on the left arm looks original. It wasn't broken just looks like it was an original stop.
Think I'm going to remove it and grind the spot of weld off to give me range of motion. Just wondering if it was me? I haven't found to many modifications from original.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Might've had a worn spot that a previous owner filled with weld. Buff it smooth, it'll look like new.
Little Stan
Bikes: 1958 FL 1997FXD

Post by Little Stan »

How are the holes in all of the brake parts? Elongated? What about the 90 degree bend in the brake rod on the clutch side? Something I did to my Pan was to cut off the worn 90 degree bend, thread the rod and then put a spherical rod end on with a shoulder bolt. Can't see it when the bike is assembled.

Over the years I've fixed a lot of brake pedals by making steel bushings for both the pivot stud and also the 1/4" hole on the pedal itself.

Get as much slack out of the entire brake system that you can!

-'lil stan
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

I feel pretty lucky that I haven't ran into any modified parts on my bike. It was disassembled around 35 years ago. I've owned it almost 33 and now that I've retired I'm putting it back together. The small welded spot on the left brake arm just looked original. I'm comftorable taking it off. I just didn't want to if it was suppose to be there. The square mounting hole and round pin holes look perfect. One thing I've learned even though I've worked on many bikes and machinery all my life is when it comes to rebuilding my first Harley I'm pretty humbled and confused at times putting this jig saw puzzle back together.
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

I'm guessing you need a picture of the left side brake arm ....I remember I had a problem with a 54 years back , I think I had it either backwards or upside down ...play with it , you will figure it out , don't modify any original parts , it was engineered to work !
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

I looked at replacement brake arms that are available and they don't appear to have the weld spot on them. I was just hoping to get a verification on weather it was suppose to be there or not. Like I was saying my project has surprised me as to how it appears to have had little modified on it.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

A photo of your brake arm showing the weld spot would go a long way toward getting you a real answer here, I think.
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

Bigincher wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:37 pm Here's a view of the linkage and pedal on the right side, lifted off a Factory Photo. It shows how everything should look when properly adjusted.

And as clean as the day it rolled out of the Motor Co...

Return to “Brakes”