STD still making heads?

Weston1955
Bikes: 1955 fle

STD still making heads?

Post by Weston1955 »

Hey guys. Quick question. After searching online I've found conflicting info on std. are they in fact still producing heads these days and does anyone have any recent experience with them? Thanks a ton guys
es225
Former member
Bikes: 1943 WLC
1958 FL

Re: STD still making heads?

Post by es225 »

I bought a set of single spark plug outside oiler standard bore O-ring manifold STD heads in Germany, this month. According to the label on the box, they were shipped from LA to Germany in August 2015. These heads a currently not in stock any more in Germany. There is no indication to the country of origin, no "made in USA".
The intake valve seats are for the larger shovelhead intake valves. The ports all have been enlarged. At the expense of the wall thickness of the port ceiling. Which is not a good idea in view of heat transfer. As a result, the valve guide holes are much shorter than standard. Neither a good idea. The valve spring seats are 0.050" deeper than standard. To allow for more valve lift. But also leading to even less wall thickness of the port ceiling. Due to the enlarged ports the head bolts under the intake port have to be shortened. Otherwise they will break through the aluminum, into the intake port.
After installation of the valve guides and an attempt to grind the valves into the seats I discovered that the center lines of the guides and the seats are way off. To such an extent that I had to take the heads to a machine shop for cutting the valve seats. I am afraid that much material has to taken away, at the expense of the press fit of the seats in the aluminum. The O-ring intake manifold flanges are shorter than standard. Leading to an undesired wide gap between the flanges and the (standard) intake manifold. I actually need a wider manifold, as for strokers with plates under the cylinders.
I hope to get the heads back from the machine shop soon, so I can give more details. But I regret my acquisition already at this stage. Unfortunately, I cannot return them because the guides have been installed and the seats have been worked...
JW
Pete T
Bikes: FLH '56

Post by Pete T »

I've got STD heads, been running them for 7,000 miles.

Same as the poster above, the standard manifold is now too short. The O-rings do seal, but I made up some extra rubber bands out of 2" mountain bike inertubes, and put them over the O-rings. Works great. 100% seal.

I'm not technical enough to comment on the internals, I had a machine shop fit the valves etc. but so far she has been running strong. I love them.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

I bought heads 2 years ago. Had to fix an oil leak from porous casting and deepen the threaded bolt holes. Done about 3000 miles now without issue. Would buy again. Bike pictured here at Morrinsville Motorama automotive show, NZ.
u7ILrvko_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cylinderheads”