duoglide fork drain plugs

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: duoglide fork drain plugs

Post by Robert Luland »

There's nothing wrong with James plugs or anybody elses. There all standard NPT pipe plugs. What is different is the drain plug hole in your lower leg. A pipe plug is a tapered thread. The tighter you make it the more you expand the hole. Just like a valve guide. So in the future guys. Plain and simply just snug the plugs up and save the macho crap for the bar. One more thing. DON'T EVEN THINK OF SCREWING ANYTHING INTO ALUMINUM WITHOUT ANTI-SEIZE COMPOUND ON THE THREADS. If the factory had done this on all the banana calipers they made. 95% would still be around. Bob L
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: duoglide fork drain plugs

Post by 58flh »

Northman----I hope the ATF works good for you as it did for me!//I actually have 8Hydras running with ATF//All of them CLUNK when fully extended!!?Thats a given on any Hydra-Glide front-end.(but)--I have found that Taking the forks apart & CLEAN to the eat off it stage IS VERY IMPORTANT!//You will be surprised to see how much crud is accumilated on the very bottom!!!!!.I put Kroil or PB-Blaster in both bottoms & let sit overnight.Then using 1 piece of my shotgun barrel rod cleaning set-up ,I made an attachment using scotch-pads & really SCRUB in circular motion until you shine a light & see Shiney aluminum//Then you know its CLEAN.Change both seals using OEM ones,there very easy to get from any dealer!.I then checked the springs & all parts ,to make sure there the same size & no damage.I then proceeded with 2 shims -(paper)/of heavy construction-paper thickness/Added the ATF after all was installed & The ride is GREAT!/Hadling was an instant notice!.If any thing looks Questionabvle,because after all them innards are old ----get NEW Progressive spring set.I can vouch for them as the other Hydras I rebuilt have these spring sets bin them.Most important is the UPPER VENTS!//Let them sit in vinigar overnight ,then blowdry with air.Stay with this guideline & you should have no troubles.--Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Forks/Shocks”