Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
devon john
Bikes: 1950 EL PANHEAD
1980 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 BULLET

electrics 1950 pan

Post by devon john »

need advice on Panhead electrics
as i usually do early morning rides to rallys i am hoping to ride the Pan to the international , 350mls each way

my pan is a 1950 with a 3 brush generator with no regulator,, with the light on and revs up a bit i am showing 7volts at the battery ,

i did try a LED head light but the light pattern is not good ,with this in i am showing 9volts at the battery .

the thing is am i going to have enough battery to ride for 4-5 hours in the dark ,,

i am taking a spair 6volt battery with me but i don't want to brake down on the road to Hull (ENGLAND)

john
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: electrics 1950 pan

Post by awander »

You should be fine, if the charging system is working correctly.

You might be surprised at how the voltage fluctuates while riding; I have a voltmeter and an ammeter on my '52 FL and the voltage ranges between 6 and 9 volts while riding with the headlight on.

Here in PA/NJ in the USA, we have to ride with the lights on all the time, so day or night is the same as far as charging.
devon john
1980 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 BULLET

Post by devon john »

thanks awander,
just puts my mind a rest ,,, i live in the south west of England and have to travel to get to anywhere ,,, and traffic is very heavy through the day time.

if iam going a fair distance its best to get on the road early ,, through the night ,,

this will be my first long ride on the pan ,,, i have just manage to master the foot clutch ,,,, well almost !!!!

thanks again

john
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Andy,
Headlights on all the time in Pa?
Jim M
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Hey, Jim, how've you been? Doing much riding this year?

I'm glad you questioned me-I just checked, and according to PennDOT, "Motorcycles manufactured during or after 1973 are required by law to use headlights at all times".

I was unaware of the exemption for older bikes.

But, yeah, I do ride with my headlight on all the time.
devon john
1980 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 BULLET

Post by devon john »

i have found another head light unit a hella h4 the reflector glass is a better pattern fitted the LED bulb and it not bad ,,

the head light bulb draws 0.52amp and 1.04amp low/high beam at 6volt ,, ..rear LED light draws 0.025amps ,,

and there good lights

john
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

Hi john,
Now please forgive my novice opinion. You say that you don't have a regulator and are just using the 3 brush gen for charging. I am at present doing up a Triumph and doing away with the rectifier and zener diode and for around $50 I bought a podtronics regulator/rectifier that can be wired in for either 6 volt or 12. There is also typanium brand as well. Hopefully someone else may chime in with some more info if this is a viable way to produce DC currant ( if that's right) that is stable without huge fluctuations and may solve you charging problems, if there is a problem.
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Big Box, your Triumph has an alternator, which produces an ac,(alternating) current. The Podtronics unit rectifies this into DC current and then regulates the voltage, 6 or 12. It wouldn't work on a DC system.
Devon John's system has the Harley 3 brush generator, which makes DC, direct current. It uses an early regulation system to control the electric system. The 3 brush system was reliable because it didn't rely on the crude mechanical devices of the day, (regulators) to control the electric system. It's sophisticated but crude at the same time.
Just keep in mind that they set transcontinental speed and endurance records in the 'teens, twenties and thirties on these machines using this electrical system! So, this system did and still can get the job done.

Devon John, if you do decide to use LED lighting, you'll need to recalibrate your third brush to minimize the risk of overcharging your battery. It might even require a resistor in the switched field circuit to reduce the charging rate to a satisfactory level. The second option might be a better one, as the 3rd brush setting is to calibrate your lights off running.
Just some thoughts.
DD
devon john
1980 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 BULLET

Post by devon john »

DD i have a total of 2amp plus ignition ,,

i have a Vtronic 6volt relay 3pole ,,

will need to alter the third brush and what should i be looking for in out put to the battery ??

john
devon john
1980 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 BULLET

Post by devon john »

after my little trip 700mls , i have now done the two brush conversion and i have bought the V-tronic regulator ,,

all went easily also i have fitted a electronic condenser made by info@brightsparkmagnetos .com

this is a very small about 3/8" square on a 2" sheet you cut to shape ,, so is very adaptable

i think now my electrics are sorted

john

Return to “Electrical”