Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Problem tightening front axle on hydra glide

Post by Bigincher »

"Taller bearings"?
No way. You should have all the parts shown in the diagram, in that order.

Several years ago I documented a star hub rebuild when I went through my old 1941 panhead chopper, to show that it's not rocket science.

Posted here:

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2009/11 ... wheel-hub/
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Post by Northman »

Nefario_Gru.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

The problem is the thrust coller (25) is not touching the center roller spacer (22). When you tighten the axle, the large part of the axle presses against the thrust coller, the center roller coller, and the connecting spacer that goes through the bottom of the lower leg. When tighened down, this assembly forms a solid axle in which the rollers revolve around, and centers the wheel by way of the 2 eared thrust washers and thrust coller inside the star cover. You adjust the end play by shimming the outer eared thrust washer closer or farther with the round thin shims. The inside eared thrust washer sits against the wheel hub, preventing the rollers from coming out of the hub. Check why the thrust coller isn't touch the center roller spacer ONLY when you tighten the axle. it's pressing against the eared thrust washer and the wheel hub preventing the wheel from turning. Doc

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”