Generator light with Cycle Electric regulator

Tunglegubbin
Bikes: 48EL

Generator light with Cycle Electric regulator

Post by Tunglegubbin »

I have a 65A generator with a Cycle Electric CE-540L end cover regulator.

The field and armature posts are connected to the regulator directly and I have a separate battery feed post on the regulator.
I cannot find any instructions on how to hook up a generator warning light with this.

On other vehicles the generator warning light just compares voltage between battery and armature.
Can I hook up this the same way or will I fry something?

BR
Mikael
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Generator light with Cycle Electric regulator

Post by blewcrab »

I have the CE wiring instructions for my CE generator ....I don't know if its the same for a CE regulator . My gen has 2 posts marked B and L .The B wires directly to the battery + . The L is the ground for the gen Light on the dash... .your gen light should be wired using a 2 wire insulated socket that gets power when the ignition switch is turned on ,and gets its ground from the L terminal . hope this helps !
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Call Cycle Electric - Ph. 937-884-7300

Here are the instructions from their website.

CYCLE ELECTRIC INC
CE-540 End Bell Regulator Instructions

Model Applications
CE-540 12-volt regulator will fit any model 65A. If used with battery it must be 7 amps or higher.
CE-540-L Same as the CE-540 but tuned for the 5.5 amp battery in 6-volt oil tank.
CE-546 6-volt regulator will fit on model 61. 2 brush, 6-volt generator.
THESE UNITS WORK WITH OR WITHOUT A BATTERY

FITMENT
For XL Models no modifications are needed.
For FL models fitted with CE-540 Series:
When installing a CE-540 series on an older generator (pre 1992 or after market) the fins will be at a 15-degree angle. This will not affect performance. If you want the fins level with the motor replace drive end plate (CEI # CG-8101) which have 2 sets of mounting holes 15 degrees apart to allow level installation.
May not fit some bikes with foot clutch. Overall length of generator is 7.58 inches. (Same length as 65A with stock chrome beauty cover)

Installation
1. Remove generator from bike. Stand upright in suitable stand with gear down.
Remove brush strap from generator.
Remove (2) ¼ 28 locknuts from tie bolts.
Remove end bell. Note: This is a good time to check the brushes. Be sure positive lead wire (from “A” terminal to brush plate) does not touch armature.
Install new regulator by lining up the slot on the regulator to the roll pin on generator housing. Using a soft mallet lightly tap regulator to seat alternating from side to side evenly and straight. The regulator must be firmly seated on the brush plate.
Install ¼ 28 locknuts on frame screws. Use a thin Phillips head screwdriver to line nuts on bolts. Use a thin wall deep well 7/16 socket to tighten nuts. Torque evenly.
Connect brown wire to “A” terminal on generator. Connect green wire to “F” terminal on generator.
Install generator on bike.
Connect “B” terminal on regulator to battery positive terminal with 14-gage wire. We suggest using a fuse between the battery and regulator connection.
To ensure proper regulation momentarily connect (flash) B&A terminals with jumper wire.

CYCLE ELECTRIC INC
DGV-5000 SERIES INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

These instructions cover:
DGV-5000 for 1936-1984 12-volt systems with 7 amps or larger battery. (See note 1)
DGV-5000-L for 1936-1964 12-volt systems with 5.5 amp battery in 6-volt oil tank. (6-volt conversion) (See notes 2 &3)
DGV-5006 FOR 1936-1964 6-volt systems. (See notes 2&3)

NOTES
1. When replacing 65B generator (1982-83 Hitachi) add HD part # 31035-58 oil deflector. Use same gear.
For 1936 to 1957 models when replacing 3 BRUSH GENERATOR. Enlarge
mounting holes in timing cover to .332 (letter Q ). Drill from inside out. Use
#31035-58 oil deflector and stock gear. Discard old deflector and spring.
Check for clearance on foot clutch models. Overall length is 7.58 inches from
gasket surface to fins.

Installation

1. Disconnect battery negative terminal.
Install oil deflector (HD# 31035-58 used on 2 brush generators from 1958-1981) gear, washer and lock nut on generator shaft.
Install new gasket on generator. Install generator on motorcycle so fins are level with motor. DO NOT MOUNT UPSIDE DOWN. Check to see that lettering on fins is right side up and terminals face back and up. Install mounting bolts. Do not over tighten! If fins do not line up you have used the wrong set of mounting holes. There are two sets 15 degrees apart. (Having the fins level with the motor is for looks. It is all right to have them at a 15degree angle).

WIRING

The DGV-5000 Series have two terminals marked “B” and “L”.
The “B” terminal is regulated power and can be connected directly to your battery or headlight switch (use 14 gage wire). If a battery is used we recommend a 20-amp fuse or breaker between battery and generator. The “L” terminal is for your generator light. If you do not have a generator light do not use this terminal. Connect the wire from your generator light that used to connect to the “A” terminal. If wiring from scratch you must have a two wire insulated socket. One wire gets power from the battery after the ignition switch. Usually the same place the oil light gets its power. The other wire connects to the “L” terminal on the generator. The light grounds through this terminal.

THIS GENERATOR IS POLARIZED AT THE FACTORY. NO FURTHER POLARIZATION IS NEEDED!

* On FL Models the terminals are very close to the engine case. This should be sufficient clearance.
Tunglegubbin
Bikes: 48EL

Post by Tunglegubbin »

Well, I have already read all info there is on the Cycle Electric website.

The CE-540L regulator instruction does not mention the GEN light anywhere.
If you buy a complete generator from them, there is a separate post for the light (L terminal).

I finally did as proposed and called them. Tried earlier to email them but couldn't find an address.
Never occurred to me to go old school an actually call them :roll:

They confirmed my original assumption that you just hook up the GEN light to the old "A" (armature) terminal and a switched 12V to the other side of the light.

Return to “Generator”