60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
docmel

60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking

Post by docmel »

Gents:

I have 60 FL with a SS oil pump. This is a complete fresh rebuild that has sat for about a year, couldn't get the bike together till now due to job, family, etc..

Today is the big day. Filled the horseshoe tank to only about 3 qts to check for leaks. While I was waiting to look for leaks, I plumbed the fuel lines and adjusted the pushrods. I have yet to start the engine, I just kicked it over a few times to adjust the push rods

It was only about 30 minutes after I put oil in the oil tank when I noticed oil leaking out of the bottom of the large generator hole where the generator shaft goes into (I had the genny removed for easier access to the magneto base and hadn't mounted the genny back in place yet). I was surprised to notice that the oil level was right at the bottom of the hole and leaking over steadily. (Bike is leaning to the left on the kickstand)

Hard to beleive the oil level was so high in the crankcase since I just put oil in the oil tank and it was already at the bottom level of the genny hole

To make matters worse, it appears that oil also might be leaking right behind the compensating sprocket (pulley as I am running an open belt drive)

None of the above leaks occurred until I put oil in the oil tank. I haven't and wont start it till I figure out the oil prob

Sound like a check valve/ball prob? Its a SS oil pump, and if anyone has had the same prob with thier SS, please sound off

I'd say there is about a 1/4 cup, if not more, of oil now leaked out and it doesnt look like its stopping. It a very very fine stream
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: 60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking

Post by Andygears »

Docmel, it sounds as if the oil is not returning to the tank at all. With that much oil in the motor, try disconnecting the return line at the oil tank and loosen at the oil pump, and swing it over a drain pan. The oil should flow out doing nothing, if not try kicking with key off. If it flows out thru the return but still keeps pouring into the motor, then yes, it's a check valve issue, not seated or ball or spring missing. If it gravity flows out without kicking and doesn't pump out when kicking then the return pump ain't pumping.

My two cents
Andygears
docmel

Post by docmel »

Andy

Could you explains a little more: I am not clear on what you posted. I have yet to start the motor, and I have barley turned the motor over 2 or three times since I filled the tank. OIl is just gravity feeding the case while the bike is parked, ABout the only thing I can check (or fix) is the check valve ball and spring?

ANd lets say it is the check ball. How do I remove all the oil in the cases?
docmel

Post by docmel »

Update:

Its been about 2 hrs since I put oil in the oil tank. Oil tank is now almost empty of the 3 qts I put in, and now oil is coming out of the breather tube. So basically at least 2- 1/2 qts are inside the crankcase, with another half qt in the drip pan

So I removed the oil feed line at the case: I watched for leaks and eventually they stopped.

I removed the check ball and spring, they looked fine, and when I reinstalled the ball I slightly tapped the ball with a ball peen to get a good seat, re-installed, and hooked back up the feed line Leaks started again, so.....This is all on a spanking new ss oil pump

I certainly have some sort of oil feed problem that keeps oil flowing as long as there is in the oil tank. So even if I reinstall a new check ball and spring, I cant see this being a possible fix

I did notice that the spring is very weak, but I am assuming that the way it should be This is all on a spanking new ss oil pump
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

Docmel, you're probably gonna hafta drain the oil tank. It may be the check ball arrangement, that assembly keeps the oil from doing what yours is doing. That is keeps the oil from gravity feeding into the motor when it is just sitting. The spring and check ball makes enough pressure, after the feed pump but before the internal oil passages, to keep the gravity oil out. Once you kick the bike and the feed pump makes pressure, it overcomes the spring and feeds oil thru the system. It should be: No kicks and no running= no flow into motor.
Since it's not, you will have to remove the check ball & spring. Ideally, there should be no oil when you do this or the entire oil tank will drain thru the check ball hole, out the top of the pump, and all over your motor. So, drain the oil tank, into a clean container you can reuse it. Remove the oil feed line at the pump, drain the line, pull the spark plugs and oil tank cap. Kick the motor over and see if oil from bottom end returns to tank, keep kicking (easy with plugs out) till the oil level in the motor lowers. Don't worry, there's plenty in there now even with feed line removed.
Now, you've got oil under control, remove the check ball screw, the spring, and a pencil magnet will help get the ball out. Use a clean towel and a q-tip to look down the hole and see if the seat looks round, no void in casting, round check ball, spring or ball not rusted.
Just a thought I had, you do have the paper on the S&S pump don't you? And the feed and return lines aren't reversed? Make sure before you do anything. All the install instructions are on the S&S website. If you're feeding into the return, backwards, it might act like you describe and be an easy fix.

Andygears
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

I missed your last post when I responded but check the oil feed/ return aren't reversed. Did you buy the pump yourself and verify it's the right one and verify they sent the right one? Wrong part in right box? I know some of the SS pumps have multiple feed/ return options.

Andygears
docmel

Post by docmel »

Folks

My thanks for the replies as always. The reason this such a good forum........ So I'm submitting what I found what the prob was for the world to see, and at the same time, submit myself for moron of the month

I had the oil lines mis-routed: Feed line from the oil tank was routed to the vent fitting on the case: Another case of trusting my memory and not double checking what line goes where.

So the next issue was how the get all the oil out of the case... Removing the left side small drain plug, as stated earlier, is not an option.

So I loosened the timing gear cover enough to drain what oil I could. That got some out, but there is still allot of oil in the cases

Since I have an open belt drive, I hooked up a large flexible hose to the breather fitting and tied the opposite end to the end of my kick stand. That way, when all that oil starts farting out, it gets on the floor, not all over the bike and my left calf

Ill report later: Start day is today!
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Dont be so hard on yourself man. No one was born with this knowledge ( except maybe rubone :) ) that is the method i would use to empty the gear case of excess oil.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”