Which Distributor

All ignition related articles
jamesn
Bikes: 55 Panhead - 70's style chopper

Which Distributor

Post by jamesn »

Hi all, I'm seeking advice on which distributor would suit my engine best.

I have a V-Twin 88" Generator-Alternator Panhead motor in my 1970's style chopper (a 1955 panhead, ridged, 10" over 47 springer). The longblock engine originally came with a basic automatic advance distributor and soon after I installed an Ed Fralick's Quickstart 2000 electronic system. However, ever since the conversion if I'm riding in top gear and above 3,200 rpm when I hit rough road (bumps) the engine cuts on-off, runs like a dog...as if there's an electrical fault, like a loose wire or something. The engine never faulted prior to the conversion.

I'm now thinking of going back to either the stock distributor, a Morris Magneto or an electronic ignition distributor.

If going with a Morris magneto I'd require the geared version because being an 88"and my knees being bad these days I'm unable to kick quick enough for the standard magneto...however, I don't like the look of the geared version, it's too bulky looking, plus they're very expensive.

So if I was to go to an electronic ignition distributor can anybody please tell me which would suit my engine best?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Which Distributor

Post by 1950Panhead »

If it was my bike I would use a stock timer with manual advance.
Fancy electronics are fine and dandy until they fail.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

I agree with 1950 panhead , go with a stock timer . And please don't call it a distributor :/

Adam
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

+1 on stock timer and manual advance. If set up properly 1-2 kicks every time.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Not sure what you are asking. The QuickStart/EBeyond is an electronic ignition. Why would you change from one to another?

If you want to load check your current ignition and coil, etc use can use anything that creates and collapses a magentic field. Old solder guns, engravers, etc. Just hook everything up, take the spark plug out, ground it, key on, timer cap off, operate the soldering gun/engraver close pickup coil in the timer head. This will simulate the shaft turning and make and break the field rapidly causing the spark plug to fire. If you have something breaking down at high RPM, this will find it.
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

I went from a auto advance back to the original circuit breaker. Also converted the Kicker to an electric start, but that was with an STD cased 4-speed transmission. Used a RSES (right side electric start) from Russ Johnson. That unit uses a separately sold XL starter. The combination has worked perfectly without fail or a bad start since I put the bike back together in a softail frame. The manual CB is a good setup, I use NAPA points and condenser.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

+2 on manual timer! The only system that allows you to temporarily retard the spark based on conditions. I.E. Starting obviously , but also, cold outside temps, prolonged idling, bad gas (ping). A little retard now and then makes it run better, And it's all there at your left grip. Harley had it right years ago.
Look at the most modern systems available now, with O2 sensors and knock sensors and temperature sensors and crank sensors, all fed thru a computer to advance the spark and change the fuel injection to make the motor run best. And they don't trust YOU to adjust anything to make YOUR BIKE run better!
So 70 years ago Harley trusted you to manually adjust the timing and turn the high speed needle to make YOUR BIKE run better. We've given up control on so much of our lives nowadays, I know what my motor wants, so let me control it!

Just my two cents
Andygears
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Sheer poetry my friend!!

Return to “Ignition”