panhead tank shift linkage ?

Paysonpan
Bikes: 63 FLH
55 FL
honda 90

panhead tank shift linkage ?

Post by Paysonpan »

Putting a 55 Fl together with stock tank shift. Tanks,shift gate,and shift lever are original HD parts in good condition. Trans was rebuilt by certified HD mechanic and been sitting on shelf in plastic bag for a few years while i accumulated parts for build. Trans has OEM jockey hand shift top.
I have looked at service manual and Palmer bible in an attempt to determine what position the lever on side of trans coincides with each gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and neutral. I have tried shifting lever by hand whilst turning rear wheel but I am still guessing and unsure as to which gear trans is in. My problem is getting the shift rod ( Colony after market purchased from Highway Choppers in AZ so I feel confident it is the correct one) to correspond to any of the gears noted on the shift gate. No matter which position the lever on trans is in when I hook up linkage I get no movement and things seems ass backwards as to which way the shift lever in gate is moved. If one of you knowledgeable guys would explain by saying 1st corresponds to 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock and 2nd 3rd 4th Neutral are .... i would be thankful
Perhaps jockey top was not installed correctly? i doubt this is the case as builder has over 30 years experience at dealer as mech and his own shop for 10. But it is possible.
After many years of accumulating parts and a few months of assembly i am down to this issue and wiring so I am as excited as a teenager to complete and hear here run
Thanks for any assistance
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: panhead tank shift linkage ?

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

If I am not mistaken, pull the lever all the way forward, that's first, then lever one notch to the rear neutral, so on and so forth.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Tranny lever all the way forward, shift lever all the way back, adjust shift rod to fit.
Pan tranny lever points down.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

As stated, your lever should point down and move in an arc from about 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Panhead had 1st all the way back (lever all the way forward), Knuckle and Flathead Big twins up to '46 have 1st all the way forward and the lever pointing up.
Paysonpan
Bikes: 63 FLH
55 FL
honda 90

Post by Paysonpan »

Thanks guys.
It appears Harley Guru put the top on wrong.
The tranny lever moves in arc from 7 o'clock being all the way back to 11 o'clock being all the way forward.
A pain but solvable and I don't feel like such an idiot now. I had tried every position of shift lever and tranny I could with no success.
In looking at my service manual it appears that I need to remove the trans top and align the mark on shifter gear with mark on shifter cam. Are these marks clearly visible when I have the top off?
Thank you all for your help

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”