Handlebar Riser's

Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Handlebar Riser's

Post by Tudelum48 »

In building my basket case I had no risers to refurbish. I bought a set from VTWIN and installed them. If I tighten them up you basically have no rubber movement in the bars? Is this normal? In the bottom of the Vtwin risers it appears the rubber washers are there so there is rubber all the way to the bottom of it.
Is there suppose to be any noticeable movement in the bars when tight?
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Re: Handlebar Riser's

Post by foundationapps »

I had this issue too when I bought my 48 from a guy. It was converted to a wide glide front end with Timken bearings. I hated the risers. I bought a set of billet 8" aluminum risers that were solid metal on the bottom, no rubber visible. I bought 4 ea. 1.5" rubber washers from ace hardware in town. That dampened them quite a bit.

What type of front end do you have, springer, wide glide ( as some are that way now ), hydra glide? Take pictures. There are ways to address vibration at the bars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Early rubber risers have a small amount of play/wiggle when installed. Look at a parts book to compare what you have.
VPH-D
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

There are two rubber/steel composite cup washers on each riser. The top one is captive within the riser when the bushing is installed, the other goes on the bottom. When bolted down with the correct parts the steel riser body has a gap of approximately 1/16" between it and the top tree. This allows the bushing to control the vibration. As stated there is a slight amount of movement when installed properly (it can vary based on the bushing material, original equipment seems to be stiffer than aftermarket).
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

I will just shim it a little at the bottom on the inside to let it bottom out. That should give it a little movement. The outside of the riser was just bottoming against the top stainless cover. Just wasn't sure if it was suppose to have any. Thanks
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I don't know what the V-Twin riser looks like, but here's an OEM rubber-mount riser with correct bolt and castellated nut:

Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

Are these made for the bolt threads to bottom out or just tighten to your satisfaction since it has a lock nut?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Tudelum48 wrote:Are these made for the bolt threads to bottom out or just tighten to your satisfaction since it has a lock nut?
The nut is tightened normally, as tight as you can get it; it's a lock nut because you want it to stay tight! When fully tightened, the riser body is about 1/16" above the top clamp cover, as previously said. There is a very minimal amount of shake in the handlebar, just enough to dampen that road buzz.
I made a tool for the head of the bolt because I don't own any screwdrivers that huge. I put a short 90-degree bend in a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" flat stock about a foot long. Works like a charm.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Yea they have some play, that's why they are rubber.
But all that has been well answered already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”