Head or Fork Lock Removal

Curly 64
Bikes: '77 XLCR, '74 FLH, '64 DuoGlide

Head or Fork Lock Removal

Post by Curly 64 »

I tried to search the forum for information about removing the head lock from my '64 frame so I could take it to a locksmith and have a new key made. I've never had a key for it. It looks like there's a tiny roll pin holding it in so I wondered if removing that pin would do the job. Any suggestions?
Curly 64

Re: Head or Fork Lock Removal

Post by Curly 64 »

Never mind, the related topics section had what I needed.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

To remove the steering head lock, the roll pin must be removed. All the ones I've seen are solid pins, not roll pins.
So how do you remove it? A skilled Tig welder can put a weld on the top of the pin, actually leaving the filler rod attached. Carefully twisting it back and forth while pulling up on it will get it to come out.
Using the key, carefully rotate and pull the lock cylinder out. The lock pin has a spring behind it, but it's probably all gunked up and not effective at pushing the rod out, so you can use a screwdriver to pry it out towards the front- after removing the welsh plug in the front of the neck, of course. It's also helpful to generously apply penetrating oil to the pin first, too.

Oops, I see you found the answer. Well, I typed it all out, I might as well leave it. ;)
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Este BigCincher hit the removal procedure on the head, with a smooth faced hammer, flood that area with penetrating oil will be a bonus, but if you can read the number on the lock, with a some diligence you can find a key. Some guy on the Antique Motorcycle mag has them. If you need his number, maybe I can fnd it.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Take the whole bike to the locksmith, they can figure out the key without removing the lock from the bike.
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Post by Tudelum48 »

Finally I can help answer a question. I got the Letter and 3 numbers off the face of my 50 and the locksmith looked into his (BIBLE) he called it and cut me one for $5. Easy
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

A 65 will have a stainless cover on the lock cylinder so you will not be able to read the number referenced without removing that cover. And....you probably cannot remove that cover without tearing up the lock cylinder. I mentioned taking it to the locksmith because there is less aggerivation and certainly less tear up the lock trying to remove it. That pin is an sob to get out without destroying/scratching things. It was mentioned elsewhere that some pins where actually sheet metal screws screwed in and broken off, not sure how accurate that is.
USDP65
Bikes: 41WLD, 47WL,47FL, 58FL, 65FLH, 65FL

Post by USDP65 »

I took my 65 to a locksmith and in about 60 seconds he made a key that worked, I couldn't believe how easy he did it....
Curly 64

Post by Curly 64 »

Thanks all of you for your inputs. My brother had to go to Sioux City today to get some parts for some cars and a tractor crankshaft that was done, so I called a locksmith I've used in the past on old locks, and he said he could do it in the frame so David took the frame with him to the locksmith. I have it completely stripped and cleaned so that was the easiest way to get it done. When I was cleaning the frame I checked the little hole on the bottom of the neck to see if it was clear and it was, so I don't think any moisture could have ever built up in the lock and corrode the spring. I'm hoping that's right anyway. It will get a good injection of lubricant when I get it back. Thanks again everyone.
Curly 64

Post by Curly 64 »

I received my frame from the locksmith with a pair of new keys and a working fork lock for $20 today. Very pleased.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Curly 64 wrote:I received my frame from the locksmith with a pair of new keys and a working fork lock for $20 today. Very pleased.
Well that sure beats removing the lock from the steering head! ;)
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

I'd be pleased with a $20 fix too... I had the same issue but before I approached the Locksmith, I got out my nailbox of old keys. As I started trying them, I began recognizing the pattern and was able to speed up the process. Took about 10 minutes and I had two keys. One is now (hidden) in the shed. The other is permanently in my leather jacket. About the only thing of note was I'd noticed one key was much easier to start in the barrel than the other. After carefully inspecting for differences between the two, I realized the worse one was more blunt on the tip. A few strokes with a file and it was as good as the other. Job done.

I must have hundreds of keys in that box, perhaps a thousand.

Return to “Frame & Fittings”