Duo Glide rear fender

Scoot

Duo Glide rear fender

Post by Scoot »

I could use some help identifying the correct rear fender for my 1964 Duo Glide. I have two rear fenders but neither appear to be correct. The one in bare metal has the indentation at the front for the larger battery introduced in 1965, but the blue one appears to have the hinges reversed. When did the hinges change from having the three tabs on the front section to having the three tabs in the rear? Also, the hinges on the blue one appear to be chrome. What years had the three holes on the top of the fender and what were they used for? Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Duo Glide rear fender

Post by RUBONE »

The three holes are for a buddy seat spring clip. The lack of the reinforcing washer on the blue one points to early application.
Scoot

Post by Scoot »

There is a reinforcing washer on the right side of the blue one. It appears to have been knocked off the left side at one point.

Any idea on the reversed hinges?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

What do the back side of the hinge rivets look like, factory installed or home-hammered? It's possible the hinge was replaced, or taken off to be chromed and inadvertently reinstalled backwards.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”