Head bolt choice?

George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Head bolt choice?

Post by George Greer »

Merry Christmas to all!!

My 58FL project bike, now has the bottom end done, by Dan Baisley and is being picked up for me in Portland Oregon.

Cylinders and pistons are already fitted for .010 OS, by Mike Steigman at Latus Motors and are ready to install.

Heads are done, by Headhog and are awaiting install when I get back to the states next year.

My question is about head bolts.......

6 or 12 point. I know either one would be OK, but I guess what I am trying to ask is the 12 point a better bolt from the standpoint of being able to use a 12 point torque adapter to be better able to get into the tight spots.

What do you other fellas use?

Thanks,

George
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Re: Head bolt choice?

Post by talldrifter »

Merry Christmas back at you.

Sort of an interesting thought. Mine is a mix and match engine with S&S cases, cylinders and STD heads, the cylinder head bolts are S&S 12 point. I don't get real worried about appearance details since the only real Harley parts are the lifter blocks, the "48" cases cracked and the 49 heads need new seats. The trans case is 1959 but it is full of Andrews gears and Jim's shafts, it rides around in an 81 FX more or less. The 12 point bolt heads do make it easier to access in tight areas but not needed, if you are concerned about correct appearances the 6 point will work just as well as they have for 60 + years.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Thank you,

I am not concerned with "correctness" as my project is my retirement toy.

My bike project started with a engine I got in Holland, the frame in Texas.

The rest is a mix of various years, and I intend it to be my rider. That I can tinker with and have fun with.

I was just curious if others uses 12 point instead of 6.

I do believe that I will go with the Colony 12 point kit.

Thanks again for your input.

George
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

George---M-Xmass to you & your family---I personally always used the 6-points/never an issue with tourquing them,with the correct tools!.When I rode to Daytona one year/We got on the strip & stopped for a cold one,after 3hrs. she cooled & when I kicked her to go my front head gasket was blown!//Luckily I had a spare & 45-min. later was up & running.No Tourque-wrench though.Never had an issue with it either/Rode back to NJ & finished out the rest of the season on that curb-side fix!//It goes to show how resilient these old bikes really are!/I know guys that do thier own top-ends on these old pans/knucks,etc//& Never use a T-wrench on the heads or barrels!& there doing just fine//Me personaly ,I use a T-wrench/Just anal that way I guess.Good-Luck on the 58(times are coming)----Respectfully---Richie
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Hi Richie..

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well..

I'll keep your advice in mind during the rest of the build.

George

Return to “Cylinderheads”