Need help identifying my Panhead engine

Information about the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: Need help identifying my Panhead engine

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

You are welcome, Peer. Yes, the lack of 7s on top of the cases indicates the engine was originally 61ci. If it was originally 74ci then on the cases I would expect to see 7s consistent with one of the two styles I posted above. But your left case has nothing and your R-H case only has that unusual marking which I doubt is original to the case.

What you have are 1949 model cases that originally were probably for a 61ci engine. But the VIN is 63 and obviously 1963 Panheads were only available as 74ci, either FL or FLH.

And even though the cases are 1949, because the VIN is 63 there are other things to consider: the 1960–69 even-odd code and whether or not the VIN is consistent with 1963 production. (If you’re not familiar with these things we can explain.) If the VIN doesn’t conform in these two areas then you may run into other problems down the track. Is the bike currently registered?
Eric
Peer
Bikes: -63 Duo-Glide FL

Post by Peer »

Speeding Big Twin wrote:You are welcome, Peer. Yes, the lack of 7s on top of the cases indicates the engine was originally 61ci. If it was originally 74ci then on the cases I would expect to see 7s consistent with one of the two styles I posted above. But your left case has nothing and your R-H case only has that unusual marking which I doubt is original to the case.

What you have are 1949 model cases that originally were probably for a 61ci engine. But the VIN is 63 and obviously 1963 Panheads were only available as 74ci, either FL or FLH.

And even though the cases are 1949, because the VIN is 63 there are other things to consider: the 1960–69 even-odd code and whether or not the VIN is consistent with 1963 production. (If you’re not familiar with these things we can explain.) If the VIN doesn’t conform in these two areas then you may run into other problems down the track. Is the bike currently registered?
Eric
Thanks !

Could You share some more info about the "Even-Odd" codes?? And yes, the bike is registered.

RUBONE wrote:That is most likely what happened Peer. But the reality is you have a '49 titled as a '63. With a Harley, only the cases make the bike. Any restamped VIN is bogus as far as originality.
Yes the bike is not original, so the value of it is of course far from an original Panhead. But that is not really a problem for me; I bougt it as a non-original bike, but liked the look of it. I just want to know what i ride, so I could get the right parts and keep it running.

There could be a previous owner running into problems with the original engine, and to keep the bike running, swapped in a used working engine (in this case a -49). The lack of competent mecanics in Norway or extreme prices to fix the original -63, could be one of the reasons. And since the engine VIN code is the same as the registration ID, the owner could have just changed the engine numbers to still have an ID on the bike. There is, as far as I know, legal to do it like that in Norway.

Per
Speeding Big Twin

The even-odd code applied to VINs for 1960–69. For an even model year (60, 62, 64, 66, 68) when there are four sequence characters the first of those four should be even—for example, 60FL2345. For an odd model year (61, 63, 65, 67, 69) when there are four sequence characters the first of those four should be odd—for example, 61FLH1234.

For an even model year when there are five sequence characters the first two of those five, when read as one number, should constitute an even number—for example, 64FLH10123. For an odd model year when there are five sequence characters the first two of those five, when read as one number, should constitute an odd number—for example, 65FL13234.

Therefore examples such as 66FLH5678 and 69FL12789 would be considered suspect because they contradict the E-O code.

Panhead VINs for 1963 began at 1000. Because of the E-O code, the VIN may be 1+++, 3+++, 5+++, 7+++ or 9+++. I do not know exactly how high Panhead VINs went for 1963 but I wouldn’t expect to see more than four sequence characters.
Eric
Peer

Post by Peer »

Speeding Big Twin wrote:Panhead VINs for 1963 began at 1000. Because of the E-O code, the VIN may be 1+++, 3+++, 5+++, 7+++ or 9+++. I do not know exactly how high Panhead VINs went for 1963 but I wouldn’t expect to see more than four sequence characters.
Eric
Thanks for clearifying that.
So my VIN number: 63FLH15++ is probably OK according to the Even-Odd number practise?

Per
Speeding Big Twin

Yes, the VIN complies with the 1960–69 E-O code but the cases are 1949. And I imagine the characters in the VIN may not look like the styles used by H-D.

Just out of curiosity, what type of frame is it?
Eric
Peer

Post by Peer »

Speeding Big Twin wrote:Yes, the VIN complies with the 1960–69 E-O code but the cases are 1949. And I imagine the characters in the VIN may not look like the styles used by H-D.

Just out of curiosity, what type of frame is it?
Eric
Its a Duo-Glide frame (I think :) )
It could actualy be an aftermarket frame too, since the ears for the footplates is missing on the frame. After blasting the frame last winther, I could not find any traces of the ears, as I would expect. If someone had cut them off, I would atleast see some grinding marks?? And should'nt there be some ears for the side-car, or are they removed on a -63 frame??
Is there any place on the frame where there should be a number?
The rear swing-arm has the number 47605-58 cast into it, so guess that is an original part??

Per
Speeding Big Twin

‘Ears for the footplates’

I assume you mean the footboard stud mounting tabs? These were on Harley D-G frames as original but anyone could remove them and if they did a good job there may not be any sign left. If it is a Harley D-G frame (1958–64) then it will be a certain style sometimes called a drop-seat frame, a drop-saddle frame or a step-down frame. Originally they had no frame number but beginning with 62 models they had an additional original component identifying number stamped in small characters on the left side of the steering head—for example, A1234. D-G frames also have a date code stamped on the R-H side of the top engine mount. And they have certain numbers on the forgings. Let us know what you find. Photos of both sides of the frame would also help us ID it for you.

Harley D-G frames have no ears, or forgings, at the front for the sidecar. For Panheads these forgings were last used on 1957 rigid frames.

I don't think the forging number on the swingarm is 47605-58; instead I think you’ll find it is 47606-58. It’s unclear when 47606-58 first appeared. Some 1958 production Pans may have used a prototype swingarm with forging number EX2039 on the R-H side. But even if they did, most 58s would have used a swingarm with 47606-58 and that number then remained in use thru 1972 but there were changes to the swingarm from time to time. Some of these changes are mentioned and shown in a thread I started in September:

H-D Big Twin round-tube swingarms 1958–72

If you need more help with ID of your swingarm please let me know. Photos would help, especially of the left axle clip.
Eric

Return to “Identification”