Triple Tree

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Triple Tree

Post by Tudelum48 »

I'm in the process of restoring my 1950 FL I have the fork tubs removed and have disassemble the triple clamps. The top brace has 3 small holes maybe 1/4 inch right by the main hole that the bottom brace goes through. One of the 3 holes has a pin in one of the holes. what is the purpose of the holes and the pin in one of them? This is my first Harley so please bare with me what might be an ignorant question to experienced Harley wrench's.
daves59pan
Bikes: 1996 roadking/1959 panhead flh

Re: Triple Tree

Post by daves59pan »

hello/that is for your steering dampner setup/there is a alignment pin /anchorplate /pressure disc and various other parts /hope this helps
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The small pin does not belong in the top tree, it belongs in the bottom plate of the steering damper assembly. When the head cone adjusting nut and top nut are tightened correctly the pin protrudes through one of the three holes (depending on which lines up) to lock the adjustment on the head cones.
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Post by Tudelum48 »

Rubone that makes sense. My friction disc assembly looked pretty rough. I guess it broke off in the hole. Rubone if you keep answering all my question I'm going to be neck deep in debt. I'm sure I will have more. I though I was a pretty good wrench on old stuff but this Harley constantly questions my knowledge and ability. LOL Thanks

Return to “Forks/Shocks”