Tires for Rigid Pan

Wheels, hubs and tires
DoomBuggy
Bikes: '56 Panhead bobber

Tires for Rigid Pan

Post by DoomBuggy »

Starting to inventory the new purchase,and one thing I need to replace right away are the tires. Currently has some seriously dry rotted Avons on it, 21x3" Speed Master on the front and 16x5" Safety Mileage on the rear. These are pretty much the same tires I ran on my pan 35 years ago, what I am wondering is are they the best around.

This bike is more bobber then chopper, that is the wishbone frame has the stock rake and the front end is a stock length narrow glide rather then an extended springer.

I like the look of the Avons of course, very classic, however this bike is going to live in the mountains and while I doubt I will "push it" in the twisties, I do want a tire that will hold the road well.

Look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
-H
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Tires for Rigid Pan

Post by awander »

I'm very happy with my set of Duro HF302Bs.
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

I have that same Avon combination on a rigid Pan and have never had a negative issue.
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

Thanks Gents,

The only issue I have with the Avon is rain grooves used to pull me around a lot. That was on an old 3rd party springer so maybe the glide front end would be more stable.

I appreciate the input!

-Harry
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

I've always liked the look of the Ribbed speedmaster on the front. However, they have half the tread depth of most tires which makes them kinda expensive. Also, they don't like grooved roads much.
I'm using the Michelin Commanders front and rear and am quite happy with them. They do well in the rain and seem to wear well. They're quite popular at the shop where I work part time.
DL
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

Anyone try the Dunlop D402 series tires. I want to say this is what was on my Ultra Classic and while the rear looks way more modern then classic Avons ,and I love my classic chopper look, I do want a tire that will hold the mountain roads.

Thanks,
-H
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Dunlap 402 last a long time but I had problems holding the road in hard turns. I changed to Dunlap 404 and had much better results in handling but they last half as long.
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

1962FLH wrote:Dunlap 402 last a long time but I had problems holding the road in hard turns. I changed to Dunlap 404 and had much better results in handling but they last half as long.
Cool, wear is not going to be an issue as this is not a daily driver, but grip is high on my want list. Best, -H

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”