Front end bounce

Information on forks/springers/shocks
chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Re: Front end bounce

Post by chuck 56 pan »

Excalibur wrote:I found this post over on Caimag Look at post #3. Maybe the same issue?
Chuck, can you describe better the bounce problem? Like is it pumping the forks, pattering on the road or flexing the forks back/forth? Do bumps set if off? Does applying brake or throttle change anything?
The bounce problem is not the pumping of the forks, more like lack of any action in the forks. the entire front end of the bike bounces at slow speeds. I need to take the forks down and see whats in them. I do know the left lower is off a Servi car, perhaps the whole front end is off a servi-car. would a servi-car have different dampening or cause problems? My observation is the forks must be too stiff and lack action.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Re: Front end bounce

Post by Excalibur »

Oh OK, now I get it. I think we've all been going off on different tangents with this one..

I don't know anything about servi cars, let alone their front ends however, a funny story.... I did have a problem of stiffness on the front end of a Fatbob Superglide. I'd replaced the fork seals and these created a lot of friction to the stanchion. I found that if I lubricated the stanchion with oil the problem would disappear. The issue would quickly reappear as the seal dried up again so the longer term solution was to pop the seal dust cover, coil a piece of rag around the stanchion, lube it "like a wick" and slide the dust cover back down over the rag. It would last for a month or more at a time. Haha, the things you have to do to fix stuff!!

Return to “Forks/Shocks”