What C.S. tooth are you running?

panhog
Bikes: 1964 Pan

What C.S. tooth are you running?

Post by panhog »

I am running 26 tooth C.S. sprocket. BDL primary belt drive. Do not know the ratio of primary drive. Have to feather the clutch on take off out of first gear. Foot rocker clutch. Tank shift. Running close ratio 1st to 2nd gear. I am happy with the taller C.S. gear dealing with traffic nowadays. Higher speed with lower rpms on the mill. C'est la vie. :)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: What C.S. tooth are you running?

Post by 58flh »

Just a reminder///Dont be afraid to let them run at a higher RPM!//4000RPM at 70+ MPH is just fine for for a few 15-20,miles!.The mill can take it !/Usually a blown bottom is blamed on POOR Alum.Case castings.//Thats not true!/#1-is usually Riders era!/-2-would be How well you or your Builder set-up the bottom-end.I think in all my yrs. that I actually seen blown cases/Usually the squish pipe had cut a very deep groove in the right case,before it was remedied.I may be wrong ,But I personnaly would have a GOOD TIG Man fill the hole in & machine the case back to flat.I have no PROOF that the gouges cut by the squish was the weak-link/But the bikes ran great for a few yrs. after remedying the issue!//I can confirm that the ones I did see were Hi-Milage machines/& the owners said they blew under a load while passing in left lane,(so high RPM on a stock set-up)/& that being spun-up to 80+ MPH to pass ,might have done it!/I dont know as I did not do the motors personnaly/But I saw a picture taken with one of those cameras that you waited for the film to come alive before your eyes & the cut was long & looked deep on pic./Being they were Hi-milage bikes it could of been a totally different issue to its failure/I truely cannot say //Just going on my gut feeling/As I have seen some really bad squish damage over the yrs.----Respectfully---Richie
panhog

Post by panhog »

Well, it looks like I am the only one running a counter shaft sprocket. Every one else must be running straight off the engine or some new fangled automatic transmission that I don't know about This is still the best forum for our early bikes. It seems like participation has definitely declined in the last year or so. Some one ask a question. One or more of our encyclopedia like members answer. And thats it. Not complaining. Just wondering what happened. By the way. What happened to Cotten?
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Automatic transmission?
Well I do agree on your comments and I always looked forward to Cotten's comments. They seemed to keep things alive here. It was something to look forward to when you would open this forum. I do miss it.

Jim M
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Probably because most everyone forgot what size they're running, like me. I'm pretty sure on my pan/knuck chopper I'm running a stock FL sprocket, either 22 or 23. Also has Primo belt drive. But I'm not afraid to open her up and let her breathe at higher RPMs. There's a certain range where that motor just sings, and I'm probably going 70-75mph. Any faster than that on a rigid frame, extended springer, and frame mounted seat, and those rough roads are no fun!

Now, on my swingarm shovel with a stroked hot rod motor, I think I'm running a 24-tooth. But even at that, the chain tends to eat into the bottom of the Bendix housing.
The engine sprocket is a lot easier to change, but with belt drive there are limited or no options.
Blind Melon
Bikes: 1935 Harley VD

Post by Blind Melon »

I'm running a 26T trans sprocket FL geared 4 speed and belt drive.. My VL is geared to run 4,000 @ 100 mph.
It's a BIG engine and a flathead at that so keeping the rpm's down works...

On my old shovelhead with a hopped up 88" engine (about 90 hp) I ran a 24T trans sprocket and a 48 tooth rear sprocket.. I regeared it from the FX close ratio trans to the wider ratio FL gears (3/1 in 1st).. With a 10 1/2 to 1 compression ratio the combination worked great for highway, high speed work.
panhog

Post by panhog »

Bigincher wrote:Probably because most everyone forgot what size they're running, like me. I'm pretty sure on my pan/knuck chopper I'm running a stock FL sprocket, either 22 or 23. Also has Primo belt drive. But I'm not afraid to open her up and let her breathe at higher RPMs. There's a certain range where that motor just sings, and I'm probably going 70-75mph. Any faster than that on a rigid frame, extended springer, and frame mounted seat, and those rough roads are no fun!

Now, on my swingarm shovel with a stroked hot rod motor, I think I'm running a 24-tooth. But even at that, the chain tends to eat into the bottom of the Bendix housing.
The engine sprocket is a lot easier to change, but with belt drive there are limited or no options.
Yes sir. Some clearance needs to be made on electric starts to run the big CS sprocket. I remember an old issue of EasyRiders magazine addressed that problem. :)
Blind Melon wrote:I'm running a 26T trans sprocket FL geared 4 speed and belt drive.. My VL is geared to run 4,000 @ 100 mph.
It's a BIG engine and a flathead at that so keeping the rpm's down works...

On my old shovelhead with a hopped up 88" engine (about 90 hp) I ran a 24T trans sprocket and a 48 tooth rear sprocket.. I regeared it from the FX close ratio trans to the wider ratio FL gears (3/1 in 1st).. With a 10 1/2 to 1 compression ratio the combination worked great for highway, high speed work.
That's a good thing about running the square swing arm, disc brake, bolt mounted sprocket. You have more options on gearing ratio. :) I think maybe you got your FX and FL gear ratios backwards, FL gears are closer to handle the bigger touring load. The FX or SuperGlide gears can wind higher in 1st gear before you hit 2nd. Without the big let down in between gears. I could be wrong. :oops:

Return to “Sprockets”