Deck height/stroker plate

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Deck height/stroker plate

Post by Andygears »

Need some advice or opinions on my pan cylinder base surface. Due to past workings and other abuse my gasket surface on my cases is about .032 low. 5.340 vs 5.375 stock dimension. The cases have been milled flat and case bushing replaced after line bore and lapped in line..nice! However, I am wondering how to replace the lost 1/32 on the deck. Gaskets are available and I have a few, with no oil holes, that measure about 1/32 or my James set has thinner ones.
My question is whether to stack 2 of the 1/32 gaskets to make up the height or fab up a 1/32 stroker plate with thin gaskets on both sides to yield the same thing? Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks.
Andygears
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Deck height/stroker plate

Post by RUBONE »

Is your engine stock components otherwise? Stock Cam etc? .032 isn't going to change much, and depending on which piston compression ratio you are using could be a very slight boost. .032 will change the compression by about 1/2 point.
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

Thanks, but no, not stock, 4 1/4 S&S wheels with new 7.5 to 1 pistons and new Andrews J cam. The bore is .070 over pan or .010 over 80 inch shovel. Do you feel the leak/ flex of stacking under the jugs is too prone to problems? And just fit it with a single gasket and let the compression ratio rise a little? Thanks, a half a point isn't much.
More ideas?
Andygears
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

my unprofessional opinion is,the 1/32 isnt going to hurt anything,it will bump your compression a tad and i would also check piston to valve clearance as well
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Andygears----Run with the thin paper gaskets//You will have no problems running this way!.Your not the olny one out there running like this!.Enjoy the bike/but I have to tell ya---after you break her in-(5-oil changes in 1000 miles)-You will be Looking to replace that J cam!.You need not go wild,just enuff for a nice daily-runner &-(take advantage of your stroker!).---Respectfully----Richie
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

Thanks, Richie & panman, I'll just run a single gasket. I was concerned with the amount of the decking, it was cut once 40 odd years ago when the left "Miracle/Marvel" case was supposedly fitted to the right. Then the right case cracked, was welded, and filed to fit. When it was eventually mine and the cases were properly lined up, it was milled, with the motor mounts, straight & flat.
I"ll try to post a pic of the cases assembled with the top of the cast "M" milled from the left case. Yes, this bike was abused thru the years and the further apart it came, the more problems I found. But it's on it's way back and hope to be running within a month or two.
Thanks to all!
Andygears

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”