Identification

Information about the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Re: Identification

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

I don’t think the 1 and 3 are the first and third characters of a 1963 BN. The 1 appears to have a serif at the base and that is inconsistent with the type I’d expect to see as the code number. The 3 looks flat-topped and that is inconsistent with the style I’d expect in the year portion. These two things help indicate it is unlikely that a 6 was ever between the 1 and 3. I don’t see the usual amount of space for a 6 anyway and even if a 6 was there originally, what happened to it?

The 1 and 3 are similar to styles used for the 1963–64 sequence portion but it’s hard to say about the 2; maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But I doubt those three characters are left over from an original BN, regardless of year, partly because I see no sign of other characters and only the same three characters are on the other case. Also, we know now the cases are replacements so I think it more likely that there may never have been any other characters present.

That still leaves us wondering what year the cases are but I don’t think cylinder date codes from July and August 1963 help with that in this instance. In your first post you said the cases are 58 and I figure you mean the serial number is 58? If so then it suggests the original engine may have been 58 but the 58 serial number is now on replacement cases of the 63–64 style. The cylinders may have originally been destined for a 64 model bike as opposed to a 63 model but that doesn’t help in determining what year the replacement cases are.

Earlier you asked about a hollow hex head timer adjusting unit for 1964. I just read it in the 64 section myself but I’m unsure what it means because AFAIK the timer assembly for 64 is the same as 61–63. I’m wondering if it has something to do with a tacho because there is a cable adapter #92097-65 available for use back through 1961 but as you can see the adapter has a -65 PN. And even if it did have something to do with a tacho, regardless of intro year, it wouldn’t help in determining what year the replacement cases are.
Eric
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Eric for all the information. I had read in another thread by Robbie, that the MOCO would shut down for a couple of weeks in late summer to switch over production to the new model year. Given that the cylinders were manufactured in July and August of '63, chances are they were used in the production of a '64 model. Since there don't seem to be any real identifiable differences in the mill itself, I'm going to guess that this bike started life as a '64 Duo Glide.
Somewhere along the road it was probably dumped pretty hard and the cases and a lot of other parts were changed out. I think it has gone through quite a few different hands over the years and each owner had his own idea of what he wanted. That's why it's such a mutt today. Makes one appreciate an original machine with a known history.
Thanks again for the help. I know the owner appreciates knowing more about the history of his bike and I got an education on identifying numbers.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

If you’re guessing the bike started life as a 64 D-G then originally the cases would have had a 64 serial number. The current cases sound as if they may be the 63–64 style and if they were replacements for the original cases then I imagine they (the replacements) would have had the 64 serial number stamped on them, maybe by a dealer. But in your first post you said the cases are 58. What made you think the cases are 58? Do they have a 58 serial number?
Eric
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Eric for reply. Yes, the case has a '58 serial number but a special construction vin has been assigned. The owner was told that sometime in the past the cases had been replaced with '58 HD cases. This whole exercise stemmed from the owner's curiosity about the original year of production given that the cases didn't jive with the outside oiling system on the engine. He isn't worried about title issues, he just wanted to satisfy his own curiosity and I offered to help him out by tapping the knowledgeable resources of this forum.
Thanks again.

Return to “Identification”