S&S Super B ?

Post by Sandrooney »

Anybody know how would a super b work on an EL ? Thanks
65panhed
Bikes: 1965 Panhead chopper
2001 Roadking Stage IV

Re: S&S Super B ?

Post by 65panhed »

It should work well, but it might be a bit much for 61 inches. When I got my first (and only) pan I went with a B over a bendix and it was great starting and like I added a blower to the bike. Now here's the disclaimer: my pan is 92 c.i. so take my advice with a grain of salt. I will include some tuning specs from S&S for ya.

Super B for 55"-84" engines Idle mixture screw setting1 1/4- 1 3/4 turns out from gently seated.
Intermediate jet size 28-33
Main jet size.066-.076.
I hope this helps, the info is out of an early 90z S&S catalogue . Good luck and have fun!
Sandrooney
Bikes: 1949 Panhead, 2010 Harley Tri Glide, 2015 Harley Road King

Post by Sandrooney »

Thanks for the help. I found a good deal on one so thought I would pick it up but wanted to get some advice first. Thanks again.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Theres no doubt that the B will run on 1000cc-EL pan!,Its sump priming (like a linkert).Performance wise Mainjet 66 to 70-(for EL)/66 is what I would start with & then see the burn after 20-miles!---It should be fine-(YOU MUST BUBBLE the Intake,,If not -you will have false readings & a Beat-up knee).Since you already have the B /You are really going to have to be on-point with KNOWING how to tune a Twin.The EL is over carburated with the B-(Yes the B is nice for (74 & thats pushing it///But for Strokers of larger mills like to 96-inch IS WHERE the Bs home is.)--The Bendix would give you more versatility & The Venturi size Is right Where it should be for your EL Panhead.The B is overkill & no matter what you do (you cannot DETUNE it by putting smaller jetting!//To really enjoy a B -you would have to spend some serious cash for a set of cutom Bore-Restricters!.---NOW If your EL is going to be a LIGHT to Light & beating the clock is what your into Then the B on a 1000cc displacement motor /which will see consistent Rpms of 4500 & up Then Its a great carb. for you.Since you have it ,run it & if your using a stock motor DO NOT TUNE COLD!.Must get her to operating temp. then ADJ.& It will be liveable to run with once get use to the thing!--(Keep the Bendix close by)------Good-Luck---RICHIE
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

You'll be happier with a smaller carb...
VPH-D
Sandrooney
Bikes: 1949 Panhead, 2010 Harley Tri Glide, 2015 Harley Road King

Post by Sandrooney »

I will ultimately get a Linkert . But for now I will try this Super B.
Thanks a lot.

Return to “S&S”